Penn Foster Student Suffering with Oleson Village Map!!!

AutoCad Student

Good Morning. It's a little after 7:00am Saturday morning.

Did you make any further progress or did you take Friday night off to go out partying with the girls?

I may not be able to check back in for a few hours as I have a project of my own to work on (painting!) today. See you later.

FINALLY! I'm in!!! Would it be possible maybe to continue our discussion via email? Would that be a big inconvienance for you? I'm having a horrible time logging into CAD Tutor. It takes me 10-15 tries before I can log in every time :cry:

I did take Friday off, but not to go out just to rest up. Today I've been running around like crazy doing must do chores, etc. I'm about to get back at the PF project in a bit. I've lost some momentum so I'm anxious to get back at it.

My email address is if you're willing to work outside of this forum. I've emailed the administrator several times but I never get a reply back.

Thanks,

Robyn

Edited by AutoCad Student

I want to attach a pic of my work so far. I understand how to attach the file to the forum, but I don't know how to capture the snap shot of my drawing in the first place :-(

I've sent you an email. Now I suggest you remove your email address from post #42.

While it may be easier for you to converse with me by email it detracts from the course of the conversation for others who may come in search of the same type of help. If I answer questions that don't appear to be asked here people may wonder if I'm talking to myself. LoL

Screen shots can be captured in a couple of ways. Since I am using Windows 7 I have access to the "Snipping Tool" which I find to be very handy. What OS are you using?

Ok, it seems to have been a browser problem like you thought. Firefox is working fine now!!!

Ok, about to pack it in for the night. I've put in my sidewalks and curbs etc and everything is on the right layer. I'm caught up all the way to starting lot 7! YEAH!

Re: sidewalk, buffer and parking strip.

Where exactly did you place these? Having worked in a municipal civil engineering office for 8 years and a consulting engineering company with a major emphasis on street/highway design I can tell you that a sketch allegedly drawn up by a so-called P-F instructor and posted here was completely wrong. All of these should fall within the streetlines and not on the lots themselves. And the correct sequence, starting adjacent to the streetline is: 1' buffer, sidewalk then parking strip. FYI - even the name 'parking strip' is incorrect. It is commonly referred to as a "planting strip". This is the grassy area between the curb and sidewalk where many municipalities allow the homeowner to plant small trees, where hydrants are most often found and where, in some communities, you'll find mailboxes.

In one of the other Oleson Village threads I posted a typical street cross-section that shows how this would look.

I'm glad to hear you may have solved your problem about logging in.

In regards to capturing an image might I suggest the program "SnagIt"?

Get a one month trial version here: http://www.techsmith.com/snagit-gslp.html?gclid=CKC91aOajbQCFdKd4AodMwQADw

Update: It's 11:35am Sunday morning. No activity observed. I'm going back to work.

Edited by ReMark

Oleson Village Lots 6 7 8.PNG

Oleson Village - Lots 6, 7, & 8.

One slight correction. I forget the 23.06 property line in a previously posted image for lot #6. I circled it in the above image.

The R.O.W. between lot #7 and SW Oleson Road should be 40 feet.

• Like 1

Oleson Village Sidewalk etc.jpg

The proper location for the Buffer ( b ), Sidewalk ( s ) and Curb ( c ) are shown in this image. The streetline (SL symbol) is noted. The ROW is 50 feet. After deducting for the buffer, sidewalks and curbs on both sides the traveled (paved) portion of the street is 30 feet. This is how it should be shown.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39119[/ATTACH]

Oleson Village - Lots 6, 7, & 8.

One slight correction. I forget the 23.06 property line in a previously posted image for lot #6. I circled it in the above image.

The R.O.W. between lot #7 and SW Oleson Road should be 40 feet.

I'm starting to gain some confidence now because I caught that on my own on my drawing :D right away. That shows I'm learning as I go!

This is a good shot above of the curb, etc. Mine isn't quite right. I will compare and make any corrections. This piece was very tricky. Just understanding the terminology was making it really hard. I got so confused as to what the right order was. I kept trying to picture in real life but I still messed it up I think.

Yes, Penn-Foster does not go out of its way to clearly explain some things in many of their projects. The more projects you do the better you will come to understand this.

From their point of view they are "teaching" you AutoCAD so all the different projects are basically just lines and circles. Doesn't matter if the projects reflect the real world or not. It doesn't even matter if there is something wrong. It's just an exercise.

Edited by ReMark

Back to our project.

I think the next big aspect of the project is when the student has to start inserting his/her tree block.

Important: There is no need to type each set of coordinates.

Open your project PDF file. Go to Page 10, Table 3 - Trees to be Removed. Look at the first entry under the heading "Tree". Use your mouse to highlight then copy (to the clipboard) the coordinates 1421083.84,783748.98.

Now go to your drawing.

Start the Insert command. The Insert dialog window appears. The block you want to insert is the one I provided earlier named Tree-Oleson. The only thing that needs to be checked off is under the heading Insertion> Specify On-screen.

Click the OK button. The dialog box disappears.

Look at your command line. AutoCAD wants to know what the insertion point is going to be. Do NOT type anything. Instead paste the coordinates you copied from the PDF into the command line. Press the Enter key. Then press it again to repeat the command. Do the same thing (copy the coordinates from the PDF) for all 13 trees listed in the table. The same technique can be used to insert and place the trees to be saved.

Note that each group of trees should go on its own layer.

Here is an image of lot #1 with two of the trees to be removed shown.

Oleson Village Trees Removed Lot 1.PNG

It's Monday morning and about 5:48am. No signs of activity. I'll check back later. What progress have you made?

Edited by ReMark
can't spell to save my life

Oleson Village Trees Remove.jpg

Oleson Village - Trees to be removed.

Next up are the trees to be saved.

Note: Tree number S44 has a bad east coordinate. Take a look: 1420986.34,786332.48 That "6" should really be a "3". This error remains uncorrected even now three years later. Who knows how long it has been like that.

Oleson Village Trees Save.jpg

Oleson Village - Trees to be saved.

Note the tree in the lower left hand corner of the subdivision that is circled in red. That is the true location of tree number S44.

The layer with the trees to be removed was frozen to obtain the above image.

Wow, I've got some work ahead of me tonight! Looks like you've given me a good tip on the cutting and pasting. I will start on this this evening. I still need to put in lot 7 and 8 but that process is somewhat "easy" to me now! YEAH! As far as progress, I had to go back and fix my curb/sidewalks so thats as far as I got last night. Tonight I will put in lot 7 and 8 and start on my trees!:D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39152[/ATTACH]

Oleson Village - Trees to be removed.

Next up are the trees to be saved.

Note: Tree number S44 has a bad east coordinate. Take a look: 1420986.34,786332.48 That "6" should really be a "3". This error remains uncorrected even now three years later. Who knows how long it has been like that.

So should I enter it in as the book has it or correct it to a 6? What happens if you enter it as typed in the guide? As a student, how would I know that the coordinate was wrong?

Oleson Village Bad Tree.jpg

I would correct the error. If you don't your tree will end up way out in space. It is within the large red circle at the far end of the line. See that very tiny spec?

Feel free to leave the tree right where it is. But you'll have to make everything fit within the confines of your title block and border. That would look pretty unusual.