Penn Foster Student Suffering with Oleson Village Map!!!

AutoCad Student

please PM me,I need to get the same project finished and I dont know where to start.thanks

just wanted to let you know that I received my grade on the oleson project and I got a 100! Wanted to thank you for all your help. I have a lot better understanding of the cad software now.

Welcome to the Forum!

I dont know where to start

I suggest you to start by posting here what don't understand in the instructions that were provided to you.

please PM me,I need to get the same project finished and I dont know where to start.thanks

Start by going to the first page of this thread and read post #2 and continue from there. If you have any further questions.........ask. But be specific.

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone help me with my project, Please! I am having difficulty understanding the Block segment of this project. I am feeling hopelessly stupid.

I'm new to this forum. I am really struggling with my PF Oleson project too. So good to know it's not just me that has had struggles.

Yes, it has been more helpful than the instruction book PF provided. I am looking at where you wrote regarding the POB line; what exactly or where is the reference line? I am confused on this. I am really embarrassed about asking...

I have my coordinates for reference line and then I placed the next point coordinates 1421334.93,783207.62 and then the POB is my next step isn't it?

Everything starts with the BM #8332 at the coordinates 1421334.93, 783207.62. I drew lines to each of the points using the @113.66

In case it's helpful, what I did is print a second copy of the survey sketch and write in the details they provide. As you draw, at each step along the way, check in here and see what suggestions are given for that step. It takes much longer than it seems it should, but I think you'll be able to piece it together. I have no idea how many times I read and reread information. Note that a couple things Remark talks about were finally fixed, including the tree coordinates and the "parking strip". His instructions on how to create the curve in SW Village Lane and the editing of the tree were quite useful. (Thanks, Remark!!) Remember that PF phrases things in confusing ways, at least for me. When you have a question, figure out what it is specifically, double check this and the other threads, and then if you still have the question, post your specific question so people know what you're needing.

Also, I understand the feeling stupid and embarrassed for asking questions. The guides both give very specific instructions for obvious steps and ... help us learn how to deal with insufficient information from employers/clients. The manuals assume students already know certain information or will pick it up from other sources (but don't suggest other reading/references). I'm in that spot now with the Structural Drafting Project. Did you use any other books as you were going through the course?

Yes, it has been more helpful than the instruction book PF provided. I am looking at where you wrote regarding the POB line; what exactly or where is the reference line? I am confused on this. I am really embarrassed about asking...

I have my coordinates for reference line and then I placed the next point coordinates 1421334.93,783207.62 and then the POB is my next step isn't it?

Posts #5 and 6 of this thread step you through the process of creating the reference line and the POB.

Post #9 of this thread actually contains a tree block (saved as a .dwg file) that you can download to your computer and use in your drawing. If you do not want to use it the process of creating a block is rather straightforward.

Re: Tree block.

As per the instructions on page 4 of the project PDF create the tree block on layer "0" which should have its color set to white. In this example we'll go for simplicity so our tree will be a plain circle.

Start the Circle command and when prompted for the center point pick any open spot on your screen and click once. Look at the command line. It now asks you to specify the radius which is the default response from AutoCAD. Type in the number "15" then hit the Enter key. Now start the Point command. When prompted by AutoCAD to "Specify a point" pick the center (use your center Osnap for this) of your circle. You should have a circle with a point at its center showing on your screen.

Start the WBlock command. This command allows you to create a block and save it to your hard drive. When the Write Block dialog box appears onscreen click on Base Point > Pick point button. Back in your drawing pick the center of the circle using your Node osnap. This will be the insertion point for your new block.

Returning to the dialog box click on Objects > Select objects button. Back in your drawing select the circle and the point. Look at your command line. AutoCAD will tell you "2 found". Hit the Enter key to return to the dialog box.

Now you have to save your block. Under the heading Destination > File name and path use the Browse button (button with three dots ...) to navigate to the Desktop and save the block under the name MyTree. Click Save then OK and you are done.

How do we get the block into our drawing? We use the Insert command. Do you know how the command works? Yes or No?

• Like 1

Thank you, I find this very helpful. The only book I am using to guide me is the AutoCAD 2013 book. Is it a big deal if you missed a step and then went back to add? I missed the Tree Block and kept going on with the project and now I have gone back and added the step ReMark posted. Thank you ReMark!

I like Dana W's answer. :)

Since AutoCAD doesn't save the order of commands once a file is closed (as far as I know), PF wouldn't know if you drew something out of order. That said, the direction of a line is able to be checked in the properties. I don't know if they check our work to that level, but drawing a line from 0,0 to 0,10 has different properties than a line drawn from 0,10 to 0,0. I received my grade back rather quickly, so I doubt they manually checked the properties on everything.

P-F has a set of master drawings that the student's work is checked against. They don't have the time or the manpower to extensively comb through every inch of the drawing.

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone I've been following these threads and have been doing my olsen village project but im am stuck at getting the scale bar. I have already made my border, title block and north arrow. Can someone help me please

Do an Internet search re: "scale bar on a map". Then click on Images.

There are a couple of images of completed Oleson Village drawings in the Student Questions forum that have scale bars on them. Use those as a guide.