Penn Foster Student Suffering with Oleson Village Map!!!

AutoCad Student

Oleson Village Properties.PNG

The Properties palette. Dock it on the right hand side of your screen. Use the Auto-Hide feature so the palette will shrink to a vertical bar when not in use. That is activated by the opposite pointing arrowheads with the vertical bar to the right (upper right hand corner of the palette). Got it?

The three most important pieces of information I would like you to pay attention to are circled in red. They are: Color (Bylayer), Layer, and Linetype (Bylayer). Do NOT override the color or linetype designations. That is generally a bad drafting practice and should be avoided as much as possible.

Now, back to our subdivision. I hope you are somewhat familiar with the Offset command because that is what can be used to create lots 1, 2 and 3.

Oleson Village lots 1 2 3.PNG

Offset line 2 as called for in the instructions a distance of 60. Then offset the resultant new line the same distance and repeat one more time.

Offset line 3 a distance of 120.

Your drawing should look similar to the above image. Trim the three lines that run east and west. Do not trim the line running north and south.

These lines serve a dual purpose. They are streetlines that define the width of the right-of-way; they are also property lines.

Oleson Village lots 1-3.jpg

After you have trimmed the lines I want you to change them to the correct layer. Highlight all three lines. Go to your Properties palette and where you see the entry for Layer: Boundary change it to Property. This assumes of course that you have already created a layer called Property, with a continuous linetype and color of magenta as called for in the instructions.

Now your drawing should look like the above image.

Do you think you can create the remaining subdivision lots on your own? Note: refer to the Oleson Village thread I gave you a link to previously (post #10 of this thread). Take a look at post numbers 82, 83, 84 and 96.

Have you had any manual drafting experience? Just curious.

Edited by ReMark

Have you created your benchmark block yet?

You are going to need a north arrow and a scale bar. You can elect to create your own or you can download a block. One site I recommended earlier where you can obtain free blocks is Draftsperson.net. Find them here...http://www.draftsperson.net/index.php?title=Main_Page

When you get to the main page look for the heading Free AutoCAD Blocks and click on it. At the next page scroll down practically to the bottom and find the heading Symbols and Signs. You'll see entries for north points and scale bars. Take a look around. If you see anything you like download it. If you would rather make your own at least you can get some ideas by looking at the available examples.

So, let me ask, before you started the Oleson Village project had Penn-Foster given you a basic overview of AutoCAD and the commands you would be using?

Wow, great to see all the hard work you put in to helping me!! Why can't you be the teacher for Penn Foster! You're doing the work already, they just need to pay you!! Can you believe they are still using AutoCad 2010!!!! I complained when I got the book but they didn't care. If something you've noted doesn't match up and I can't figure it out on my own, I'll post my question. I'm so excited to get home tonight to keep moving ahead on this!!! I'm learning more with you than I did in the entire book. Autocad isn't something you can do very well from the book alone and no one-on-one interaction with an instructor.

I am familar with the offset command. I actually took a class a long time ago and with your help its starting to come back to me! I do have all my layers set up correctly. That part I figured out on my own thank goodness. I don't have ANY drafting experience at all but I'm very interested in the subject so I find it quite enjoyable to work with. I've had a couple of "Drawings and Specifications" courses but it was really just how to read the plans and not how to draw them. I do love to sketch, but I know thats not even close to drafting really. I haven't created the benchmark symbol just yet. I got kind of sleepy when I started to attempt it and I decided to put it away and start fresh tonight. I think I will just download the scale bar and north arrow this time.

I have taken the entire AutoCad 2010 course and completed all the exams with a 95 or better and that covered the commands, etc, but when it came down to doing the exercise I felt like I fell off into an abyss "where no man has gone before" haha. Its all starting to come together though now with your help. So when you name a command or a function, I know what it is but it takes me a bit to figure out again which button it is and what the desired result is. I do remember the trim and the offset functions.

I'll have to get back to work now, but I'll be back at it tonight when I get home around 7pm. Thanks soooooooo much. I won't be depressed anymore!!!!

p.s. what are your thoughts on learning BIM 3D modeling software? I've heard its beyond difficult. I was wondering if maybe I should focus my future efforts on learning that instead of traditional AutoCad.

Your comments are very much appreciated. I would only consider being a teacher at Penn-Foster if they revamped the entire AutoCAD course which I'm pretty sure they have no intention of doing at this time.

Have you had an interaction with an of the so-called instructors? If so, anyone in particular?

I am surprised that Penn-Foster is still using 2010. You get your software for free right? Where do you download it from exactly?

Glad to hear that your previous training is slowly coming back to you as we progress through the project.

I'll try to check in to this thread after dinner tonight. Maybe we'll bump into each other. See you later.

Just checking in now. It's 5:45pm. No sign of any activity. I'll check again later.

Edited by ReMark

Hey! I haven't been able to log in all night! I sent a message to the moderator or whatever but I managed to finally get in when I tried the next time.

I'm sure you are off to sleep by now but I've been working since about 7. I'm doing great still only a few small snags. Which layer do the subdivision streets go on? The property layer? I've downloaded the north arrow and the scale, but i haven't put them in the drawing yet. My drawing looks a bit different than yours. I'm still working. I'm having some problems rounding off the edges of the cul de sac. I used filet but I'm doing something wrong.

I'm missing some of your outer blue lines and the center lines on the streets. I'll catch up tomorrow night. I'm a bit worn out now after 2 hours. I'll try to figure out how to take a png of what I have so far to post so you can see my progress.

I would put the streets on the Property layer (color: cyan). If you recall I previously mentioned that streetlines and property lines are basically one in the same.

The north arrow and scale bar can be added once you have completed the subdivision and have added your title block and border. Just as long as you remember that North is at the top of your screen, south towards the bottoms, east is to the right and west is to the left. You were in the Boy Scouts at one time weren't you? LoL

The Fillet command is one option available for creating the curved streetline at the cul-de-sac.

The two additional streetlines are for SW Kensignton Place and SW Oleson Road. I also created the centerlines for both which are shown in magenta.

Edited by ReMark

Oleson Village cul-de-sac1.PNG

Layout out the cul-de-sac. Start with offsetting the streetline 50 feet due east. Might as well include the centerline too at 25 feet.

Located the center of the culd-de-sac (I used a line) by way of the coordinates in your instructions.

Oleson Village cul-de-sac2.PNG

Trim away the streetlines and fillet each side of the cul-de-sac (radius=20).

If you trim away the part of the circle that falls between the two streetlines it will make the fillet process go much easier.

Oleson Village cul-de-sac3.PNG

A close-up of the cul-de-sac.

Note the west side has had a fillet applied. The east side hasn't. When using the Fillet command your picks should be close to the intersection of the line and circle as shown in the image above.

Oleson Village SW Village Lane.jpg

Creating the centerline of SW Village Lane.

All that is required is for the student to properly locate the starting point at its intersection with the centerline for SW 58th Avenue. Then using the same method of drawing a line based upon distance and bearing construct the angled centerline.

Oleson Village SW Village Lane streetlines.jpg

Before we move on to what is shown in the attached image let's stop.

You previously created the centerline for SW Village Lane. Use the Fillet command with a 55 foot radius to add the curve. Stop.

I'd like you to combine the line on either side of the curve with the curve itself so it is one complete entity. How do we do that? Easy...we use the Pedit command.

Invoke the command and pick the west line. You'll be asked by AutoCAD if you want to make the line a polyline. Answer = yes. Now type 'J' (for Join) then pick the same line, the curve (arc) and the second line. AutoCAD will join all three lines together.

Now offset the centerline 25 feet north and again 25 feet south. Your drawing should look like the above image.

• Like 1

Oleson Village SW Village Lane fillets.jpg

Adding the fillets. Once you have trimmed away any unnecessary lines add the two 30 foot radius fillets where indicated. Now start in on the remainder of the lots. I trust you'll have no problems from here on out.

This is probably my last post to this thread today (Friday) as I have two back-to-back appointments to go to starting at 3 pm. If I can sneak another look between the two I will otherwise you won't hear from me again until early Saturday morning. Saturday is going to be a pretty busy day for me. I've got a room to paint, etc.

IYou were in the Boy Scouts at one time weren't you? LoL

haha, nope because I'm a girl! Well 43 year old woman, hahaha. I haven't yet read your new posts. I will shortly. I just wanted to respond to the boyscout thing because it was funny. If you don't hear from me for any reason its because I'm not able to log in. For some reason it takes me 10-15 attempts sometimes and other times, no problems I log right in.

I do have one question from last night. As I get ready to put in the boundary for lot #4, how to I determine the exact distance down from the south boundary line of lot 3. I pick the end point where I want to start measuring but I'm not sure how to measure down the 164..ft it asks for. I tried making a line to mark the starting point of the angled line but that wasn't working out exactly.

I've got my culdesac drawn in last night but I had trouble rounding the edges (fillet) you probably address that in your response, so I will go back and read all your replies shortly. This is the first moment today I've had to check in here.

My apologies. Girl Scouts then.

Lot #4. You could easily locate the starting point of the southern property line by constructing a circle with a radius of 168.24 with its center located at the west end of the south property line of lot #3. Where the circle intersects with the boundary line is the point-of-beginning. Start your new line there and snap it to the centerpoint of the cul-de-sac. Trim as required.

I'll be leaving at 2:45 pm. It's 2:31 pm now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39090[/ATTACH]

Adding the fillets. Once you have trimmed away any unnecessary lines add the two 30 foot radius fillets where indicated. Now start in on the remainder of the lots. I trust you'll have no problems from here on out.

This is probably my last post to this thread today (Friday) as I have two back-to-back appointments to go to starting at 3 pm. If I can sneak another look between the two I will otherwise you won't hear from me again until early Saturday morning. Saturday is going to be a pretty busy day for me. I've got a room to paint, etc.

Don't worry about me :) I'm doing very well under your care!!! Like I said, I've got time to work on this but for sure the sooner its done the better!!! I've just had a couple of questions so far. I think my main snag is learning the best way to measure a distance in order to determine the starting point of the lot 4 property line that is at an angle. In other words, I need to go down about 164ft from lot 3 and then insert the coordinate for the angle that connects to the culdesac. Its probably super simple, but I wasn't able to figure it out.

ok, got it. Sorry you posted while I was posting. I will give that a try tonight.

last question...how do I send you a png of my work so far?

You can attach an image to a post. Start by clicking on the Go Advanced button (lower right hand corner) under the Quick Reply box. At the next screen look for and click on the Paperclip icon. Browse to your PNG file, upload it then attach. Add a few words of explanation if required.

Good luck.

Update: First appointment finished up early. I've got about 35 minutes until the second one. I see you did not post any questions but in case you do I'll check back in a little while. Time now: 4:12 pm.

Edited by ReMark

Oleson Village Lots 4 5 6.jpg

It must be your lucky day. Had a few minutes to whip this up.

Laying out lots #4, 5 and 6.

I used circles to find intersection points then ran a line from the intersections back to the center of the cul-de-sac.

Lot #4 - red circle.

Copy the north streetline of SW Kensington Street to the intersection of the west boundary line of lot #4 and the south property line. This will give you the south property line of lots #5 and 6. This line is the north edge of the buffer area between the back of the lots and SW Kensington Street.

Lot #5 - yellow circle.

Lot #6 - green circle.

OK...gotta go. Catch up with you on Saturday. Good night.

Addendum:

I messed up on lot #6. See the image attached to post #47. There should be a small segment of property line (23.06 feet) going off in a northeasterly direction. My apologies.

Edited by ReMark