Penn Foster Student Suffering with Oleson Village Map!!!

AutoCad Student

If anyone is still on this thread, could I get some assistance in finding the length and property bearings of the radius on lot 5 and lot 6. Also, how do I get the rounded extension lines that are to be used for the total length dimension?(page 20 of the instructions) Any help is greatly appreciated!

Length and bearings of the radius? You are talking about the cul-de-sac at the end of SW 85th Avenue right? The radius is 50 feet. As far as I can tell the student is neither given nor asked to provide the length of arc for the front property line of either of the two lots you mention. Either method would be acceptable. Lengths and bearings of the other four lot lines (one of which is shared between the two lots) are given in the instructions or can be determined using the List command.

I'd use an arc to create the dashed lines you are referring to or draw a right angle and use the Fillet command to apply a radius.

Sorry. Yes the length and property bearings of the cul-de-sac side of the lot so I can dimension those accordingly. Thanks for the help with the extension lines. I wasn't sure if they could be done with DIM command.

If you copy the geometry off to the side and use the Trim command you can get the length of arc for any lot that borders on the cul-de-sac. To my knowledge you are not required to provide a bearing or delta or any other data for those property lines.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this? "-Label all property line bearings using ROMANS-6 for your text style. If possible place the text under the property line. -Label all property line lengths using ROMANS-6 style. Place this text above the property line where possible. Using the list command is helpful to find the length of a line, but it doesn't give the length of an arc. It will give the arc radius along with the arc's beginning angle and ending angle." I think I need to dimension them. I'll give it a go copying the geometry for the length. Thank you.

I believe I told you how to get the length of an arc in a previous post. The beginning/end angle of the arc for this type of drawing is a useless piece of information. In a subsequent civil project you'll be asked to provide the arc radius, delta (angle) and length of arc.

• 1 month later...

ReMark,

Thanks for the help with the project. I wish I would have seen this site before I was already halfway through, but with your help and the help of this site I got my 100%. Thanks so much for everything. I appreciate it more than words can say!

Scot

• 4 months later...

hello there from a pennfoster student, can you help please how to start boder and title block for the Oleson village? i will appreciate that.:cry:

hello there from a pennfoster student, can you help please how to start boder and title block for the Oleson village? i will appreciate that.:cry:

The instructions for drawing the title block and border are contained in the project PDF that you received. Refer to pages 16 and 17. Basically you are drawing a rectangle of 36x24 units plus some additional lines for the title block area near the bottom of the rectangle. Once that has been completed you will scale this up to fit around the Oleson Village subdivision map you have drawn. I'm pretty sure that I covered this topic in one of the many Oleson Village threads posted here (it could even be this thread that you have posted in). Have you checked?

Addendum. Take a look at post #267 of this thread re: titleblock and border.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone, first time posting here, gotta say, Remark Knows his stuff and thank you for sharing your knowledge, I followed this and several other threads to gain some insight on the P-F Oleson Village project, I read the recommendations and applied them to my project, Got a 100 on the project without even asking a question, I just looked and there they were with the answers that I needed to solve the issues I had, listen to this man, he knows his stuff........

once again

Thank you very much.

Kevin.

P-F Student

• Like 1

Kevin:

Congrats on getting a score of 100 on the Oleson Village project and thank you for your kind words. You are most welcomed. I wish you continued success.

• Like 1

Hello everyone, first time posting here, gotta say, Remark Knows his stuff and thank you for sharing your knowledge, I followed this and several other threads to gain some insight on the P-F Oleson Village project, I read the recommendations and applied them to my project, Got a 100 on the project without even asking a question, I just looked and there they were with the answers that I needed to solve the issues I had, listen to this man, he knows his stuff........

once again

Thank you very much.

Kevin.

P-F Student

Welcome to CADTutor kbstingwing, and congratulations. :)

I can't help but wonder, knowing how many P-F students have sought out, and effectively been taught their courses by ReMark, if they even have any instructors on staff? :beer:

I am quite sure they don't have any as generous, knowledgeable, or prolific as ReMark. :|

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I've been lurking on this forum, getting a lot of questions answered and now I can't figure out what is wrong with my project. 

Everything in the drawing is completely according to the instructions, even some of the ones given in this thread, minus the three property lines for lots 4 5&6 being longer than needed due the the cul-de-sac not being in the "right" spot. I've ran the LIST command and checked all of the lines and I believe them to be correct. If someone could load the drawing and verify that my lines and points are either wrong or right, I've been staring at this for the last week and hopefully I'm overlooking something simple. I've given the dwg and an image. 

What is note worthy: I cannot enter bearing info. With LINE running,  picking the benchmark, entering @113.66<N5d27'23''W does nothing. The command line says "Point or option keyword required". From what I've gathered, CAD isn't recognizing the ' and '' as minuets and seconds. I have tried to change the units to architectural with the same results. I am using AutoCAD 2017 for Mac which i have repeatedly found is full of holes, but I was assured by PF that the course is compatible with Mac. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 6.26.47 PM.png

Oleson Village.dwg

To enter a bearing one must change the Angle Type (under UNITS) to Surveyor's Units and make sure that Precision is set to N 0d00'00" E.

Re: your drawing.  The coordinates for the center of the circle that forms the cul-de-sac of SW 85th Avenue are correct however the same cannot be said for much of the other property and streetlines in your drawing.  The benchmark location is correct.  The alignment of SW Kensington Place is not correct.  The north, west and south subdivision boundary lines are not in the correct alignment.  While portions of the alignment of SW Village Lane are correct the alignment fails at the intersection with SW 85th Avenue as the corner radii are incorrectly located.  None of your lot lines are correctly located.

My suggestion is that with the exception of the cul-de-sac, benchmark and easterly portion of SW Village Lane (from SW Oleson Road to the radiused streetline) everything else be erased and you start over.  Trying to salvage the misplaced linework would just lead to further frustration.

Edited by ReMark

ReMark, thank you for your help. I figured out my issues:

The bearing precision requires that the seconds is actually the " key and not the ' twice. 😑

There was one line with one bearing direction wrong, which threw the rest of the project off. 

I guess after staring at it for long enough the frustration made me miss little things like that, I just needed someone else to look at it. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/9/2012 at 12:08 PM, ReMark said:

Oleson Village Lots 6 7 8.PNG

Oleson Village - Lots 6, 7, & 8.

One slight correction. I forget the 23.06 property line in a previously posted image for lot #6. I circled it in the above image.

The R.O.W. between lot #7 and SW Oleson Road should be 40 feet.

Question! It says  the 23.06 line goes in a "north easterly direction" but do we have bearings for that? 

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and came to solve some problems in oleson village project. I thought this thread is not active now but seeing you guys still commenting so I too came to ask for some help.

@Remark I must say you really helped me very very much. Whenever I got struck in the drawing i come to this thread. Thank you very much for your help. 😊

I have completed the drawing part and I am struck in the dimension part. I have attached the image of my progress so far. It took me nearly 3 days to draw this.

Could you please upload the final project screeshot so that I can check how to do the dimensioning.

And could you please see these in the final project and clear my doubts -

1. eastern boundary of lot 5 has bearing of N1d15'19"W Instead of N1d15'7"W if other points are correctly placed.

2. eastern boundary of lot 6 has bearing of N50d43'12"W Instead of N50d21'28"W if the line is to be extended to the center of the cul -de- sac.

3. The project did not mention that which boundary of 85th avenue road is extended north, i.e. outer line or inner right of way. I saw your image in the forum and I extended the outer line i.e. 50 foot wide road toward alden street.

4. You suggested to copy paste the coordinates in the drawing but when I pasted it, it became an mtext line. why?

Would be happy to hear back from you on this!

my update.png

Edited by shilpavyas