Penn Foster Student Suffering with Oleson Village Map!!!

AutoCad Student

I see lots of posts on this project but I'm getting no where. I completed all of the book tests and got no less than a 95 on every single one but when it came time to do the project at the end, it might as well be written in another language.

I’ve gotten absolutely no where with this project. I’ve tried to enter just the first simple line coordinates probably 100 times and it just goes away as soon as I hit enter. When I try to enter the second point it says “Point or option keyword required” or the box will have a red outline and it won’t do anything. The line feature is the most basic function in autocad and I can’t even do that.

If someone can get me past just the FIRST LINE, maybe there is a glimmer of hope I will be able to complete this course.

Thanks!!!! You are my only hope.

Obi-Wan Kenobi has left the building but I would be willing to assist you.

Have you set up the drawing environment as per the P-F instructions?

Do you know how to enter coordinates at the command line?

Start a new drawing using the acad.dwt template file. It should be the default.

Set your units. Do this via the command line by typing UNITS then press Enter.

Under Length > Precision set it to 0.00. Under Angle select Surveyor's Units and set the precision to be N0d00'00"E. Click the OK button.

Now I want you to draw a rectangle. Start the Rectangle command and when asked for the first corner point type, at the command line, 0,0. When asked to specify the other corner point type, at the command line, 2000000,2000000 (note that we do not use commas). Then press Enter. Now do a Zoom > Extents. The entire rectangle should now be visible on your screen.

Why did I have you do this? Because the whole Oleson Village subdivision including all roads in/around it should fit inside this rectangle. Use it as a visual reference. If you draw a line, or insert a block, and it falls outside the rectangle then you have done something wrong.

Comment. I still do not understand why P-F insists on telling the student to establish limits of 0,0 and 20000000,20000000.

Edited by ReMark

Next: drawing a reference line to what will be the center of our benchmark.

Make sure Orthomode (F8 key) is toggled Off.

Start the Line command.

When prompted for the first point pick on the lower left hand corner of the rectangle using the Intersection or Endpoint OSnap.

Let go of your mouse.

When prompted for the next point type, at the command line, the following coordinates (do not use commas except to separate X/Y coordinates) 1421334.93,783207.62 then press Enter. AutoCAD continues to prompt for the next point. To cancel the command press Enter a second time or press your Esc key. The end of this reference line marks the centerpoint of your benchmark. The first line, referred to in the instructions on page 5 as POB, starts at this point and will extend up and slightly to the left which is equivalent to a direction of northwest.

Using your mouse scroll wheel zoom in to the end of this line so you have a better view.

Drawing the POB line.

Orthomode should still be disabled (off).

Start the Line command. Pick the endpoint of the reference line.

Let go of the mouse.

For the next point type, at the command line, @113.66<N5d27'23"W (see image in next post).

Assuming the line is there how do we verify the length and distance? Answer: we use the List command (one of a couple of options).

Type List at the command line then press Enter. When asked to select object pick the line that was just drawn. Press Enter.

A text window should appear listing all the information about the line. Check that the length and angle are correct.

Edited by ReMark
  • Like 1

A freebie.

Download this block to your desktop. It is a tree I'd like you to use in your drawing. It is saved in AutoCAD 2000 file format so you should have no problem with it. The block came from http://www.draftsperson.net and was originally done in metric units. I converted it to imperial units. It is already setup to have a diameter of 15 which is what is called for in the Oleson Village instructions.

This does not absolve you from the task of creating your own tree block but I thought it might spruce up your drawing just a bit.

Tree-Oleson.dwg

By the way, can you attach a copy of the PDF file you are working from to your next post? I'd like to check and see if there have been any changes. The one I am working from dates back a few years. Thanks.

haha, I was wondering if anyone would pick up on my StarWars quote! :D

Thanks SO MUCH for all the detailed assistance! I'm at work right now, but I will be diving into all your instructions when I get home tonight. I'll be in touch!!!

• Like 1

My response is thus: I'll be back.8)

Where are you located? I ask because my time is somewhat limited in the evening due to my unusual work hours. I'm afraid I may not be of much assistance to you then.

Edited by ReMark

The next four lines that go in represent the boundaries of the subdivision. The starting point for the first of the lines is the end of the POB line we drew previously.

Make sure you are on the correct layer. You should be working on layer Boundary (color: cyan, linetype: phantom).

Start the line command and pick the end of the POB line. Now leave your mouse alone and do the following.

For the next point type @542.16<N39D16'46"E, continue Line command and...

for the next point type @676.62<N87D28'25"W, continue Line command and...

for the next point type @457.43<S2D31'35"W...

finally, for the next point type the letter C for Close. The endpoint of this line should bring you back exactly to where you started.

Note that the letter "D" is used to denote degrees, the symbol ' is used to denote minutes and the symbol " is used to denote seconds. Along with the designators for North, South, East and West these character/numbers make up our "bearing".

If your phantom linetype looks more like the continuous linetype set your linetype scale to a value of 50. You can do this at the command line by typing LTSCALE then inputting the value followed by pressing the Enter key.

Edited by ReMark

Oleson Village Boundary.PNG

Oleson Village - Boundary.

Work in a counter-clockwise direction from line 1 to line 4.

Note: I made my POB line red to distinguish it from the boundary lines. It will remain in my drawing until such time as I no longer need it.

Wow, this is super cool to have you helping me!!!! I'm in Maryland, but I have plenty of time to work on this so we'll just sync up when you are available. You've given me plenty of "homework" already so I hope to make some progress on my own now without having to bug you in the evenings. I've been having major anxiety thinking I'm just going to have to give up on the Construction Technology degree :cry: I'm also working on a "real" degree at the National Labor College. The PF effort was just to get two years under my belt so I could sit for the Maryland Contractors Exam.

To answer your earlier question, I have set up the basic file already and I've added the layers and the fonts, etc. I do know how to enter the coordinates on the command line (at least I thought I did) but for some reason it doesn't work out. Either some lines show up but then disapper. I will check my units against what you've provided above. Starting with the retangle is a great idea! They really don't give you much guidance in the booklet. Being able to see what I'm doing will be most helpful! DUH! You're right the limits PF sets are really not helpful to a newbie. I can see that I'm really going to love working with AutoCad once I can figure out what the hell I'm doing!! I can see it becoming addictive even. "What can I draw next???"

OlesonVillage.pdf

Well at least we are both on the same coast. I hit the sack around 8pm since my day starts at 3:30am. I usually go on my home computer after dinner for about an hour or so depending on what else I am doing. Lately my after dinner activity has been skim coating plaster walls. Not as exciting as CAD but it will have to do.

Entering coordinates should look like this: 1234567.99,78923.57 not this 1,234,567.99,78,923.57. There should be only one comma and that is between the X and Y coordinate.

Thanks for the PDF. I'll have to see if they updated anything based on comments I sent them which, by the way, they never bothered to respond to.

Alright, it is almost 6:30pm (EDST) here in beautiful Connecticut. Just thought I'd check in to see if you had any further questions. I guess not. In which case I'll take that as a sign that you are making good progress. See you on the flip side. Adios amigos.

I'm having great success! I'm just about through all you provided!!! I can't believe it! Its amazing how a little "tutoring" can go such a long way!!! I'm getting ready to download the tree block now. Everything else has gone without a hitch so far!! You just don't know how much this means to me because I was actually getting depressed!

That's good news. Let's try to avoid getting depressed at all costs OK? Christmas is just around the corner. It's a time to be happy. :)

I took a quick look through the PDF you provided yesterday and compared it to the one I received three years ago. There seems to be no changes to the instructions. That means you'll find a lack of information regarding some aspects of the project and I believe at least one tree location is inaccurate. Be forewarned.

You have reached the point in the project where you start defining the subdivision lots. But before we go any further I suggest you bring up the Properties palette. I am assuming you are using the student version of AutoCAD 2013 and your workspace has what is known as the "Ribbon" at the top of your screen. I want you to go to the View tab, Palettes panel and click on the Properties icon. See below.

Oleson Village View Tab.jpg