issue with copy and paste

ali888

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with copying.

What i've been trying to do is trying to join the two drawings together. I have two drawings, one has the actual drawing and the other one just the labels associated with the first drawing. Unfortunately, that's what i got from the other guy.

So, i open up the first drawing and the other one that's got labels in a hope that i can copy and paste to original coordinates. When i copied the labels by selecting them all first and then chose copy. Then, switch to the other drawing and chose "paste to original coordinates".

It didn't work and gave me a message like _pasteorig *Invalid* or _pasteclip *Invalid*

I wonder what may cause it not to be able to copy and paste between the two drawings.

Thank you in advance

there are many ways to acheive what u want to do beside copying itself,. but if i were you, i would use edit>copy with base point,.selecting the base point thats relevant to both drawing (may bethe UCS orgiin), or any other point that does exist in the both drawing,. and then just paste in the other drawing,.you should be asked for the base point to where you want to "insert" the object(S) from ur clipboard.

hope that helps.

and sorry if my english is not good enough

Hi Anubi5

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciated it.

I understand that you can copy with base point. However, i must tell you that these two files are produced by mapinfo. Apparently, mapinfo cannot produce a drawing with label or texts on it. hence, they have to be saved as a separate files.

In the past, i have done a lot of copying and pasting job but had no problems. it just said that

_pasteclip Duplicate definition of block BLK14755 ignored.

Duplicate definition of block BLK26586 ignored.

Duplicate definition of block BLK29442 ignored.

Duplicate definition of block BLK31372 ignored.

Do you think it might be due to the two software are in conflict or something?

Is there anything i need to know about the mapinfo and autocad LT?

Thank you in advance

Duplication of block error messages usually occur when whey are already "hiiden" in the drawing. Try purging the drawing and insert your symbols as a Wblock.

Failing that you could always try Xref.

Failing that you could always try Xref.

I agree, the drawing you are trying to copy and paste was most likely an xref that needs to be re-attached. My guess is if you open your xref manager, you will see that the drawing file is listed but not loaded. If so, just re-load it. You will need to browse to specify the location of the file on your machine. Once you do this, the drawing should load in exactly where it's supposed to be.

• 2 years later...
Export problem dwg file as dgn file. Then import dgn file. Copy and paste works fine after this.

Good tip! But as this thread is about three years old, don't expect an answer :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

may be this should help you.

just open the new document.copy all ur cad pic to new doc.

this could be ur cad file is bad.

:roll:

• 3 months later...
Export problem dwg file as dgn file. Then import dgn file. Copy and paste works fine after this.

Excellent. I'm not the original thread author but this helped a bundle. Same issue. The DWGs were converted from another format as they had been originally drawn in Caddie, not AutoCAD. Just make sure all your units are set correctly before you export/import. Still post the answer even if the thread is old! :D