how to constrain 3d rotate to ortho?

Eric H-L

I am just getting started. I am modeling some tanks pumps and piping. How can I 3d rotate boxes and cylinders and constrain to 90 degree rotations?

I got into trouble using the gizmo by eye. I realize now if my primitives are generated square to the groundplane I just need to start my gizmo rotation and then specify 90 on the keyboard. Is there any way I can snap to these 90 degree rotations without keying in the angle?

Also for all the entities that I now have at odd angles is there some way to get them back into square?

meet18: The OP is using AutoCAD 2011 and to my knowledge there are no "SmartArt" tools although there is something called Express Tools. Perhaps you have a different program in mind?

I'm guessing buy the content of meet18's post he is trying to spam.

SmartArt graphics and tools are available in Microsoft Office Excel 2007, Powerpoint 2007, and Word 2007.

I've seen some pretty neat flow charts done with Excel.

I got into trouble using the gizmo by eye. I realize now if my primitives are generated square to the groundplane I just need to start my gizmo rotation and then specify 90 on the keyboard. Is there any way I can snap to these 90 degree rotations without keying in the angle?

Also for all the entities that I now have at odd angles is there some way to get them back into square?

When I work in 3D (which I do a lot), I still manipulate objects and perform most 3D operations with a 2D mindset. All these 3D gizmos and 3D rotate tools just doesn't offer any better or more efficient ways of doing things. I don't think it's a problem with these tools, it's a problem with AutoCAD in general... it's just not built to utilize the gizmos in the most effective manner. I work in Revit a lot and the 3D manipulation tools work almost flawlessly because of the way Revit works.

Some tips... I use the OSNAPZ variable a lot. This way objects to accidentally snap to some weird elevation from another object. I reorient the view, or UCS, so that I can just use normal 2D commands, such as move, rotate, copy, array, etc.... list goes on. This is far easier and more effective in my experiences through the years.

:)

One thing I do is insert a small cube in the drawing somewhere then lock that layer. Sometimes when you start rotating and changing USC in complicated drawings you loose your horizon. A quick Face UCS command then clicking on the cube will re orientate everything.

Mostly I rotate things using the standard rotate button and ortho if 90 deg and the

I reorient the view, or UCS, so that I can just use normal 2D commands, such as move, rotate, copy, array, etc.... list goes on. This is far easier and more effective in my experiences through the years.

Thanks. I did not know I could do that.

One thing I do is insert a small cube in the drawing somewhere then lock that layer. Sometimes when you start rotating and changing USC in complicated drawings you loose your horizon. A quick Face UCS command then clicking on the cube will re orientate everything.

Mostly I rotate things using the standard rotate button and ortho if 90 deg and the

Jimmy111. Thanks for that. I was getting lost although my drawing is only complex relative to my inablility to visualize. I am learning to use the viewcube in a similar way but its good to know there is a way to survive without the high tech gadgets. Again I appreciate learning that the 2D commands work.

This is in response to what?

Sorry for the vague answer, if he was rotating them individually, after he picked a base point in 2d rotate he could just move his mouse around and it would snap at 90 degee intervals. if he was using 3d he could just pick a plane and it would snap at 90's

When I work in 3D (which I do a lot), I still manipulate objects and perform most 3D operations with a 2D mindset. All these 3D gizmos and 3D rotate tools just doesn't offer any better or more efficient ways of doing things. I don't think it's a problem with these tools, it's a problem with AutoCAD in general... it's just not built to utilize the gizmos in the most effective manner. I work in Revit a lot and the 3D manipulation tools work almost flawlessly because of the way Revit works.

Some tips... I use the OSNAPZ variable a lot. This way objects to accidentally snap to some weird elevation from another object. I reorient the view, or UCS, so that I can just use normal 2D commands, such as move, rotate, copy, array, etc.... list goes on. This is far easier and more effective in my experiences through the years.

:)

Pretty much the way I work in 3d.