Inserting photos into autocad

FIFTHTEXAS

Can anyone advise what is best method to insert photos into Autocad, there are afew methods i have tried, ok if you PDF drawings just using copy and paste, but you loose photos when send dwg files.

can anyone advise what is a good method to use?

Have you sent the drawings using eTransmit? That should automatically take all photo's and x-refs that have been inserted into the drawing.

If you xref an image, you keep the flexibility of being able to change it and having the changes migrate to the drawing. You can xref the same image into other drawings and keep them all consistent. Unfortunately, images don't get bound into a drawing when you export it (I just tried it), but eTransmit does work, as Glen1980 notes.

On the other hand, if you bring the image into the drawing, it gets sent out without any effort. There are tradeoffs, as always. It depends on how many images you have, how often they change, how often you send out drawings, and your file/network topology.

Open in drawing editor (e.g., MS Paint), select all, copy then paste into AutoCAD.
I believe this is the best method if you want the image embedded into the DWG, as it makes the image an OLE object. This is what I do for engineering seals that have been stamped and signed then scanned in.

*EDIT*

By request of our engineer who sends drawings to and from certain clients. I know it sounded bad when I said it... haha

I just spent a day tracking and reattaching xrefs that were "lost" when IT did some server swapping/upgrading (I just redo them as needed).

Years ago I used eTransmit, works fine, you just have to hope all those forwarding the drawing know to use it as well or you will get a call/email.....

CLIENT: Where is your Image and Title block?

YOU: It was all there when I sent it to _________.

CLIENT: Well they are missing now.

Or they try opening the drawing from the Email...

+ there are limits to the quality/size of the image's when using copy paste option.

I have not run into quality/size problems, some image types can get large in file size, but if you regularly work with large file size images, you should have an adequite computer setup.

I have, i guess it also depends on the image your given to insert by the graphics department but many time i have inserted only to find a blank square after saving & re-opening the dwg, i do indeed have an adequite computer.