Help with dynamic door block

rajeev_acpl

Hi,

I had created a dynamic door block (my first one). As the block has door frame section on both ends, i need to place the linear distance parameter near the door hinge (and not on the basepoint for block insertion). This extends the door by 4" from the value of door opening i manually enter. Suppose i enter 42", the resultant opening will be 46". Any way to fix this. Also, how can i make the block to accept only predefined sizes like 2'9", 3'0" etc

I can't look at your block as it is saved with A2013 and I only have A2011. My week is nearly over so I doubt that I could look at it before nexxt week but it may be worth saving it to an earlier release for otehrs to look at it.

As for sizes questionin A2011 you select your distance parameter and in the properties palette change Value Set|Dist Type from none to list. This gives you an option to type in the acceptable distances. A2013 may be slightly different but the principle should be similar.

Hi,

I had created a dynamic door block (my first one). As the block has door frame section on both ends, i need to place the linear distance parameter near the door hinge (and not on the basepoint for block insertion). This extends the door by 4" from the value of door opening i manually enter. Suppose i enter 42", the resultant opening will be 46". Any way to fix this. Also, how can i make the block to accept only predefined sizes like 2'9", 3'0" etc

Adjust your distance length so your jambs land at the right place to account for the proper rough opening. Or you could use a door block that has ONLY the door panel itself and then insert that between the already drawn jambs. What counts is that your door itself is the proper length. It may actually be working close to properly now. The average interior prehung door requires nearly 4" more space than the door size so you can squeeze in the jambs and a pile of shims. If you have a 3068 door, then the door itself not including the jambs is 36" x 80" in actual width x height.

Thanks for your reply,

I got the distance parameter and now can have the door size to vary between a predefined value. But still to find out the way for frame margin. I am attaching the file in 2007 format.

Door.dwg

Dana,

As you can see, my block is nothing else but door frames added to the already bundled block with autocad. Though i had made it from scratch, i dont want to add jambs manually to each door opening. I tried to add a move/ stretch parameter at base point and stretch the original linear stretch parameter alongwith it. But somehow it did'nt worked

Dana,

As you can see, my block is nothing else but door frames added to the already bundled block with autocad. Though i had made it from scratch, i dont want to add jambs manually to each door opening. I tried to add a move/ stretch parameter at base point and stretch the original linear stretch parameter alongwith it. But somehow it did'nt worked

Yah, them dynamic blocks are kinda tricky, and the F1 key narative is a little nebulous. However, you've done a bang up job just in avoiding losing the original functionality that AutoDesk put in. That is an awsome amount of parameter and action goin on in there.

I have had very little experience with dynamic blocks, and probably would take days to get yours to where you have it. I really have no idea why your attempt at using overlapping stretch actions didn't work, although speaking from 25 years experience writing computer code, it does seem rather a difficult task from that side of the fence.

I think you have to redefine a stretch action that was associated with any of the object geometry you change. In other words you can't just add or subtract an object to an existing stretch area/action. You have to do the stretch over. Maybe it's just me though. It seems as though I always have to re-do all the actions in a block once I change anything. But I could be missing something.

Now a little bit of ****retentive detail checking here. (Do four asterisks come up when I type Analysis?:lol:) (Nope.)

I'd look closer at your door jamb. Take a look at some specification drawings or pdf's on some door mfg websites, like peachtree or Pella.

The jambs might need a little bitty change. But then I have been known to be rather OCD about details. That bump in the middle of the jamb is supposed to be a "stop" that keeps the door from swinging through. The 'stop' should be to one side of the door slab, and it should be only about 3/8" proud of the rest of the jamb. Also, the door slab needs to be pretty much flush with the wall on the swing side when it's closed.

I couldn't even get it to the point you have taken it so don't let me bust your bubble today. That's pretty good work indeed. You can put incremental stretch lengths in the block so you can click through "standard" door sizes just like the swing angle list, but apparently you know that hence the angle list.

Maybe adding a zero degree swing angle would be a good idea. There are situations at times where I have wanted to show a door closed.

Here's another challenge or two that I don't want to try. Two or more sets of door jambs with visibility states to fit 2x4 and 2x6 walls, maybe 2x3 also, since they are still legal for some interior walls, some more for different thicknesses of drywall, block, brick veneer over stud walls, etc, etc. the list is way long. Then do them with stamped steel jambs, wood jambs, extruded aluminum jambs

Back when I drew all this stuff out on vellum, we'd only draw one line and an arc for a door, with a straight edge, pencil, and circle template, then lable it 2668 or 3068 or some other standard size.. No jambs, no nothing else. It was up to the framing carpenter to know the specs for the size & brand of door used, and up to the finish carpenter to hang the door in the hole facing the right way.

Edited by Dana W

Dana,

That was a quite a bit of a post. I agree with you. This is my first ever dynamic block. I went through Mikes tutorial and let me tell you, he is good at explaining things. I did draw this door from scratch and added parameters and action knowing fully what am i doing and what the all they do. But as you may we well aware of, things go crazy and atleast for a newbie, it is hard for them to figure out what is going wrong. As in the block itself, a stretch action was added to flip action and doing so, the flip action was selected as parameter. This let me to believe that i may move or stretch the original stretch parameter and action alongwith the new one and thus all other would act accordingly. I even thought of stretching only a single line of jamb and moving the whole jamb along using constraints. But either this is not possible or i am not able to figure out the correct way.

As for your detail section of post, i am aware of the improper detailing, but currently i am only focussing on making the block work. I do dream of adding more functionality like displaying appropriate tags (door code) on selecting one of the predefined widths, but for now let us just focus on the width problem.

Thanks again for your kind reply

Regards

As for your detail section of post, i am aware of the improper detailing, but currently i am only focussing on making the block work. I do dream of adding more functionality like displaying appropriate tags (door code) on selecting one of the predefined widths, but for now let us just focus on the width problem.

Thanks again for your kind reply

Regards

:lol: I did warn you that I can get a bit obsessive with details, didn't I?:lol: I am no further along than you are with dynamic blocks. I can usually get two stretches perpendicular to each other to work, one at a time, or opposite to each other, but I have yet to get any to work that overlap. It took me a while to figure out what to include in the stretch area, or what not to include just to get my first one to work.

I downloaded a dynamic block off this forum of a double sliding door. That thing stretches in both directions when you pull on one end. Very cool. I will see if I can find it and upload it back here.

Yep, that's it. Cool huh. I wish I could give credit to the author, but I cannot remember from whom I got it.

I have opened that block in the editor and stared at it, and still can't figure out how to duplicate it. So much depends on the order one places the parameters and actions in a block, that just looking at it doesn't tell me much.

Is it as simple as placing the action trigger for both stretches on the same distance parameter, on the same "arrow"? Nope, that ain't it, I still can't make my own version work.

Stretch In Two Directions.dwg

Edited by Dana W

Thanks Dana,

Stretching in opposite direction is entirely different. You just have to add another stretch action to the parameter, select opposite corner and set distance multiplier to -1. I had made a sink block that does that. As we are not getting any help here, i think i am on my own. Let me figure this out and if this happens, i will post the complete block (of course with correct detailing)

I have opened that block in the editor and stared at it, and still can't figure out how to duplicate it. So much depends on the order one places the parameters and actions in a block, that just looking at it doesn't tell me much.

Is it as simple as placing the action trigger for both stretches on the same distance parameter, on the same "arrow"? Nope, that ain't it, I still can't make my own version work.

Yes it is.

I don't think the order you add parameters and actions makes any difference, even if you chain the actions. For stretches you add a single parameter - I usually use a distance with one grip and the add multiple stretches. You then modify either the angle (0 & 180) or multiplier (1 & -1) (or indeed both). You can of course get interesting results using 0 & 45 or 1 & 0,5 :shock:. You can of course use 4 stretches at 0, 90, 180 & 270 to create a scaleable box although this could also be done with scale.