Architecture 2008 - All 3D commands are causing Autocad to crash

ammobake

I am doing a drawing and I can still insert windows, doors, walls, fixtures, etc.. from the tool palette.

Now, when I try to insert a tube (doesn't matter the size) autocad freezes up for a couple seconds and crashes. Is there something I'm missing here?

Error: "FATAL ERROR: Unable to load the modeler DLLs."

I'm using the original tub blocks from the "Catalog Library" that are installed with Architecture 2008.

If I start a brand new drawing and try to insert a tub, the same thing happens.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

-ChriS

Try THIS solution. I know it is for AutoCAD, but would't hurt to try.

Might also try PROXYSHOW=0.

I found this that may be useful.

Solution

These errors occur when the number of characters in the Windows® path and AutoCAD support path gets very large, approximately, over 800 characters. To help avoid this problem, install the product to a location with a shorter path if a large number of support paths are going to be used.

I've been using Architecture 2008 for a few years but having some issues now.

Most of the standard commands still work..

copy/paste, 3dorbit, dimensions, mtext, etc.. I can also still insert walls, doors & windows with no problems. All of the 2D commands still work.

With regard to 3d solids, ANY command involving 3d solids causes an instant "fatal error - unable to load the modeller DLL's". The following 3d Commands are causing crashes..

Extrude, Box, Wedge, Cone, etc.. Trying to draw anything in 3D, even extruding a polyline, causes a crash.

Also, if I try to insert a tub from the design base it causes the same kind of crash - perhaps because autocad treats it as a solid? Inserting any kind of tub size/type causes a crash. On my last project I was able to insert 3 different types of showers with no issues. Only had problems with the tubs.

Any help would be appreciated! Anyone have any ideas? I've done some searching online but I can't find a solution. Thanks!

-ChriS

FatalCrash-3DSolids.jpg

FatalCrash-3DSolids.jpg

Thanks SLW! I'm at my day job right now but I'm gonna do more troubleshooting this evening. It occurs exactly when you try to use the 3D commands - even if the first thing you do after opening Autocad is draw a box or some other 3d Solid.

ReMark - One thing that I've heard about is under [Options > Open and Save > ObjectARX Applications] in which if you try to open certain drawing files with 3d content it can change one or both of these variables..

"Demand load ObjectARX apps:" and "Proxy images for custom objects:"

and I've heard that - for whatever reason - if you use a registry cleaner (like I have before) it can delete certain DLL files that are essential for Autocad to know how to model those solids (if that makes sense). You can change the variables back manually but if the DLL is gone it can only be created either manually (copy and pasting to the correct path from somewhere else) or reinstalling so all the DLL's are intact.

I'd never heard of this until two weeks ago.

Do you think this could be an issue?

-ChriS

A restore to previous in Windows will resolve all of those issues, usually.

Use CCLeaner for registry and file cleanup, I and many others have used it for years and it has never affected AutoCAD.

I've been using Architecture 2008 for a few years but having some issues now.

Most of the standard commands still work..

copy/paste, 3dorbit, dimensions, mtext, etc.. I can also still insert walls, doors & windows with no problems. All of the 2D commands still work.

With regard to 3d solids, ANY command involving 3d solids causes an instant "fatal error - unable to load the modeller DLL's". The following 3d Commands are causing crashes..

Extrude, Box, Wedge, Cone, etc.. Trying to draw anything in 3D, even extruding a polyline, causes a crash.

Also, if I try to insert a tub from the design base it causes the same kind of crash - perhaps because autocad treats it as a solid? Inserting any kind of tub size/type causes a crash. On my last project I was able to insert 3 different types of showers with no issues. Only had problems with the tubs.

Any help would be appreciated! Anyone have any ideas? I've done some searching online but I can't find a solution. Thanks!

-ChriS

Ahhhh....the good ole days when we didnt have to have that dam ribbon:cry:

• 1 year later...

I finally got this resolved - just thought I would note for anyone else having issues with architecture 2008 crashing when trying to extrude polylines.

I initially tried to run the system repair tool but it wouldn't work.

(Control Panel > Add Remove Programs >Autocad Architecture 2008 (double click) > Repair Button)

The crashes kept happening.

I ended up just doing a reinstall of Architecture 2008 - Please note that you either need the disk to do this OR the installation files from Autodesk. You just need to make sure you have access to the installation folder/files - disk is the foolproof method.

If you try to reinstall without the disk it will want you to navigate to where "ACA.msi" is located at some point in the installation process. This is located either on the disk (if you have it) and if you didn't install with the disk it is located in the installation files from Autodesk.

All other files you need for reinstalling are already on your computer though.

I was worried that reinstalling would reset my user profile and stuff but that is absolutely not the case.

Also, as long as your currenly installed product is already registered with autodesk you will not have to go through the process again of registering, etc...

After reinstalling, I tested out the extrude command and everything is back to normal.

I'm 99% sure that what caused this problem was a registry cleaner tool that deleted the modeler dll's needed by Architecture 2008 to model 3d solids.

Hope this maybe helps others with similar issues in the future! Thanks!

-ChriS