revolving a closed polyline results in a SURFACE (REVOLVE)???

henryaga

Hi,

I have been using AutoCAD to create product designs (baby bottles) for the last three years. I am normally drawing lines, arcs and splines to create the shape, then I use PEDIT to create a closed polyline and REVOLVE to create a SOLID 3D object from that shape.

Couple days ago, AutoCAD is not longer creating 3D solids when I use REVOLVE as usual (even using older files and/or the same shapes or polylines that I have used before to create 3D solids). The result of REVOLVE is "SURFACE (REVOLVE)" (I got that from properties). But, the most uncommon thing is that AutoCAD is revolving fine one or two times per day after many many tries. (normally I am closing and opening files and trying to revolve some stuff many times, using the same process and suddenly it revolves the sahpe as a 3D solid)

I attached a picture showing two objects created using the same group of lines, splines and acrs. One is a solid 3d object and the other one is a surface (revolve) as result of using REVOLVE command. WHY????

Could anybody help me with this problem?

THANKS!

revolve_problem.jpg

Attach file here that exhibits this behavior.

Attach image of command line showing Mode in the Revolve command.

Are you typing Revolve or using the ribbon icon?

If using the Ribbon attach screen capture of the icon (I will be looking to see if your Solids or your Surface tab is active).

My guess is Mode.

Thank you so much JD Mather. I know you didn't give me a specific answer, but your "If using the Ribbon attach screen capture of the icon (I will be looking to see if your Solids or your Surface tab is active)." comment gave me the answer for the problem.

I created a toolbar with the icons I am normally using and I think I used the wrong revolve icon, then the surface tab was normally active and that was the problem. I didn't know the thing around the SURFACE or SOLID active tab and the result of that using the REVOLVE command.

Thanks again!

When you run the Revolve command (from Solids or Surface tab) check the Mode setting on the command line.

When from Solids it automatically detects open profile and creates revolved surface as that is the only possibility.

When from Surface it assumes that is what you want.

From either Revolve tool you can set the Mode to Surface or Solid as needed on the command line.

If your wall thickness is uniform (can't tell from the image) you are doing too much work. Create only the exterier profile and solidedit>shell to get the wall thickness (removing bottom face or whatever required).