Link Excel file to acad Mechanical BOM/parts list?

Enigma

I know I can link an excel spreadsheet into Autocad, but is it possible to have an excel spread sheet linked to the BOM/parts list that can be created in autocad mechanical (2012 version)?

I am currently doing some large device location drawings, using a massive excel file, and copying/pasting each line item into my parts list, so that the item balloons on the drawing match the list.

• 7 months later...

I was thinking there might be a way if AutoCAD would link excel cells to an AutoCAD field but I couldn't find a way. In the official forums someone suggests an app for mtext linking, but I haven't tried it, and I doubt it would work for a parts list entity anyway.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2010-2011-2012-DWG/Can-you-link-autocad-text-to-a-field-in-an-excel-sheet/td-p/3309071

• 8 months later...
I know I can link an excel spreadsheet into Autocad, but is it possible to have an excel spread sheet linked to the BOM/parts list that can be created in autocad mechanical (2012 version)?

I am currently doing some large device location drawings, using a massive excel file, and copying/pasting each line item into my parts list, so that the item balloons on the drawing match the list.

VBA is probably the answer....and I recall a VBA utility (BOM2Block) being written by a MDT guy and available for download (free) from the old KwikCAD site. It linked the 'Partref' and other attributes created by MDT/Mechanical, via an Excel SS which was used as the 'template', and made the data available for a block insert. There may be something there that you could work with, but I don't know for sure. The other route is maybe to use the Expresstools 'Rtext' and a bit of Diesel. Rtext can insert the contents of an external text file into a drawing. Your Excel SS can be exported as text, I think. It'll need some effort! Maybe someone here speaks VBA well enough to help?