Solidworks user new to Autocad 3D

caseyanne

I am just starting to play with Autocad 3D. Is it in any way the same as solidworks?

It seems cumbersome, but I will look at a few tutorials.

As of now, I don't see anything familiar, well there is extrude...

Thanks.

JD - The company I now work for has AutoCad. Excuse my ignorance, but I am not sure if they have Inventor or Creo. Is this part of the Autodesk package? I was not asked to design anything 3D, I just want the skills.

And yes, ReMark - I agree. It has been a long time since I had to create a drawing not just taken from a model.

errgh all this offsetting, drawing lines, trimming...

Not complaining though, I gotta job :)

Inventor is the Autodesk equivalent of SolidWorks. Creo is the renamed Pro/E (not an Autodesk product).

3D can be done in AutoCAD and the new viewbase command creates 2D from 3D in a manner similar to SolidWorks or Inventor, but the entire process is just not optimized like in the next-generation MCAD tools.

Both Solidworks and Inventor are similar to use. Although I find surfacing and general design better in SW.Sheet metal design & weldments (framework) are better with Inventor.

There is "no happy medium" for the two.