How do you fill a door object with hatch?

Jay Hatfield

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jay Hatfield

• Currahee

• ReMark

• hugha

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, yea...:(

I know what I am going to do...I am going to write my buddy Paul F Aubin, he's the man that publishes all those Mastering AutoCAD (and all the other products) books. If he dont know, no one does. I have already searched all his material and William Wyatts to no avail.

That would be very helpful. It's no hurry. I've been trying to figure this out for weeks now. I'll let you know if I have any breakthroughs. For the time being, I'm having to hatch them all separately , kinda rediculous that there's not an override.

I WILL NOT LET THIS DIE. I WILL DIE TRYING!!!...LOL

Taylor, your epic tenacity is inspirational, unless of course one's name is Matthew, and you are not looking forward to paying the price for having tested it!

Sounds like you have shaken off that concussion pretty quick, good work. :beer:

Taylor, your epic tenacity is inspirational, unless of course one's name is Matthew, and you are not looking forward to paying the price for having tested it!

Sounds like you have shaken off that concussion pretty quick, good work. :beer:

LOL...yea, I have to got to the doctor this morning to get those Estwig waffles taken out of my head:ouch:

Remember he's working in 3d just from the top down. You can't apply a hatch to a door thats a 3d object you apply a material. But still if you view in plan or top down you will only see the outline of the object. Until it is rendered you won't see the material. Might try to render from the top view just to see what happens. Otherwise redraw the plans in 2d and hatch the doors.

BDesign

I dont have any idea...LOL I cant believe they dont make a way to change this!!!!! I have never had to change it but I could understand some people wanting to do it. I WILL NOT LET THIS DIE. I WILL DIE TRYING!!!...LOL

LOL! Thanks for your effort. I feel that we have made headway and are at the brink. It really is a shame that's there's no "Easy button". I've been exploring the different views and trying to setup "realistic view" to print in monochrome while preserving my line weights. There's gotta be a way to do what I want in 3d. :book:

LOL! Thanks for your effort. I feel that we have made headway and are at the brink. It really is a shame that's there's no "Easy button". I've been exploring the different views and trying to setup "realistic view" to print in monochrome while preserving my line weights. There's gotta be a way to do what I want in 3d. :book:

Ok....I talked with Paul and this is the copy of the email and a sample drawing he sent me...I haven't had a chance to try it out yet (got a hot date sitting here:celebrate:...LOL) But it does show the hatch in the door (from the pic in the email)

So I will let you try it out Jay..LOL

Hope this helps...Please let me know!!

Re:

Hi Tim:

Thanks for the email

With displays, you can only hatch the stuff that shows on the hatch tab in the display properties dialog. So, I am afraid that there is no automatic way to do what you are asking. The only work around I can suggest would be to create a custom display block for the plan version of the door and load that into the plan display. Trouble is, for plan display it only allows you to customize the frame. So you have to cheat by loading the custom block as a frame and then fiddling with the settings to get it to line up correctly. I did a quick example and attached it. Not sure how practical this will be for real use, but it is the only option I can come up with.

Sample hatched Door.dwg

Hope that helps.

paul

Paul F. Aubin

Paul F. Aubin Consulting Services

paubin@paulaubin.com

Revit Video Training at lynda.com

Current book editions, available now:

Aubin Academy Master Series: Revit Architecture 2013 and beyond

Aubin Academy: Revit MEP 2013

Aubin Academy Master Series: AutoCAD MEP 2012, 2013 and beyond

Aubin Academy Master Series: AutoCAD Architecture 2011

Visit:

paulaubin.com today!

• 2 months later...

Thanks Curahee! I haven't quite figured out how to do it, but that's exactly what i'm trying to do. I looked at the file and it has a cross hatch and i'd rather the door to show solid. I'm just going to have to delve in and figure out how to edit that hatch to the one i want and the door object that your friend mad "test door" allows me to use that door throughout the buildings. You have been so helpful, I hate to keep hounding you, but would you know how i can edit that hatch and which function allows me to do that? It's not like a block where i can "edit block" so I'm a bit puzzled. I gave up after our last convo, but was presently surprised to see that you have found an answer to my age old problem. Thank you sir! :)

JDOOR.dwg

I got it! It wasn't fast or pretty, but I got it...Here are the steps I took.

1) created a door style

2) hatched inside the door and made this hatch a block

3) Right clicked on door-> properties->Display ->advanced->custom block and added the hatch.

This third step was bit cumbersome because for some reason the block loaded arbitrarily. I had to fiddle around with the insertion point to get it in there precisely. I hate to beat a dead horse, but would you know how I can insert it exactly?

Thanks again for all the help Taylor!

[ATTACH]41109[/ATTACH]

I got it! It wasn't fast or pretty, but I got it...Here are the steps I took.

1) created a door style

2) hatched inside the door and made this hatch a block

3) Right clicked on door-> properties->Display ->advanced->custom block and added the hatch.

This third step was bit cumbersome because for some reason the block loaded arbitrarily. I had to fiddle around with the insertion point to get it in there precisely. I hate to beat a dead horse, but would you know how I can insert it exactly?

Thanks again for all the help Taylor!

No problem...does 2009 have anchoring possibilities? Are you having to have to do this everytime you you make a door? Or you making each door or block?

You know it would have been easier just to change your boss'es priorities..LOL

I'm actually using architectural desktop. I only have to this steep once but I'm not sure why the block I attach seems arbitrary in it placement. Oh we'll, at least it works and from now on my boss will need to build a bridge and get over it. Lol.