How do you fill a door object with hatch?

Jay Hatfield

I am using autocad architecture 2013 and need to know how to show a door object as hatched without having to hatch them all individually. I have asked this question before and was given some pointers. After giving it the old college try, I still can't figure it out. Would somebody please give me a list of steps to show a door with a solid hatch? My boss is dead set on showing the thickness as solid and by default autocad architecture 2013 does not show doors that way. Thanks.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jay Hatfield

• Currahee

• ReMark

• hugha

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if your Doors are blocks, then if can easily be edited using the BEDIT command,

if not, then isolate your door layer and issue Bhatch command, make sure that the "Create separate hatches" is checked.

Nod684: Doors are objects, not blocks.

hugha: Hatch fill is turned on.

ReMark: Aren't door symbols and hatches the same?

All: When i'm viewing these AEC objects in standard cad "2d wire frame" view, the hatches don't show. However, if viewing in "realistic" view, the doors show as solid. We have office standards and line weights that I need to preserve so, I can't print in realistic. Is there a way to just show the doors as realistic? I'm sure there's 10 different ways to do what I'm trying to achieve, just need one. For the time being, I'm going in and hatching every individual object, but this is not a very efficient way to do it...

thanks guys

I am using autocad architecture 2013 and need to know how to show a door object as hatched without having to hatch them all individually. I have asked this question before and was given some pointers. After giving it the old college try, I still can't figure it out. Would somebody please give me a list of steps to show a door with a solid hatch? My boss is dead set on showing the thickness as solid and by default autocad architecture 2013 does not show doors that way. Thanks.

1. Make you a door style or copy one you already have
  2. Go into your door style properties
  3. Choose panel (if that is all you want to hatch)
  4. Either add a new material to the panel or edit the current one.
  5. Go into your material display properties box
  6. Choose what representation you want to show it in
  7. Click on style override
  8. Then click on edit display properties
  9. Under Layer turn on the bulb you want to display
  10. Chhose your color
  11. Click on hatching tab
  12. Choose your hatching pattern and pattern for the display component you want
  13. You will have to play with your scale and pattern and color until you get what you want, but then you will have a door style set for what you need. Then if you have already have doors under a different style you can then assign them this style

Hope this helps...

Taylor

BDesign:

How do you go into your door style properties? I have made a door style and click -> properties and it brings up the properties dialog to the left. I do not see "Panel" there. Also, where is "Materials Display" and "Edit Display Properties"? I'm running Autocad Architecture 2013. Another problelm maybe that my view is setup as "2dwireframe". The door shows hatched in realistic view, but this is not ideal because it would throw off my line weights.

Thanks!

BDesign:

How do you go into your door style properties? I have made a door style and click -> properties and it brings up the properties dialog to the left. I do not see "Panel" there. Also, where is "Materials Display" and "Edit Display Properties"? I'm running Autocad Architecture 2013. Another problelm maybe that my view is setup as "2dwireframe". The door shows hatched in realistic view, but this is not ideal because it would throw off my line weights.

Thanks!

Ok...got my Architecture 2012 up and running...now in what view do you need your hatch to appear?

To answer your first question...if youare in wire view and left click on your door to select it, then right click, then choose "Edit Door Style"

BDesign:

I have done everything you have said to do and it still does not show as hatched. However, when I switch the view to "realistic" it shows the changes. I really think it has something to do with it not displaying in 2d wireframe. Do you work within 2dwireframe as well? Do you know of a way to display just the doors as realistic or any other alternatives. I really appreciate all of your help.

Thanks!

BDesign:

I have done everything you have said to do and it still does not show as hatched. However, when I switch the view to "realistic" it shows the changes. I really think it has something to do with it not displaying in 2d wireframe. Do you work within 2dwireframe as well? Do you know of a way to display just the doors as realistic or any other alternatives. I really appreciate all of your help.

Thanks!

No problem buddy thats what we're on here for is to help one another.

Ok...you want the door to show as Hatched in 2d hidden or 2d wireframe?

hatched in 2d Wireframe. I'm using 3d objects and they have better functionality than blocks, but I've tried everything trying to show an object hatched in 2dwireframe and it doesn't seem to work.

hatched in 2d Wireframe. I'm using 3d objects and they have better functionality than blocks, but I've tried everything trying to show an object hatched in 2dwireframe and it doesn't seem to work.

Really, ok...lets go thru a check list; you have the whole drawing in 2d wireframe and you want the door hatched correct? Hold on a minute or two, I am going to do a screen shot of the everything to show you how I got there.

Yes, I'm working in model space -> view: 2d Wireframe. Hatched show up, but after following your steps, it still does not show as door. I have adjusted the scale. I've selected style override for all display representations and and changed their material overrides->hatches to SOLID. I'm not sure what i'm missing here. I've even closed cad and restarted...

I just thought about something...you werent talking about hatching the doors in top plan view were you?

cad002.jpg

Edited by Currahee

Ok, sorry about the wild goose chase...I'm working with objects and the drawings are 3d, but need to show door panel as hatched. Eventually, I will transition over entirely to REVIT and/or object oriented "architectural desktop". At our office, the problem is the obvious learning curve, as we are experiencing now, with trying to simply show a door as solid. Again, I very much appreciate all of your help and insights. I will post some screen shots too, for autocad architecture 2013 differs slightly, but I'm still able to follow you thus far. Will we need to "edit object display" along with "edit door style" I have actually tried overriding everything and changed the hatch to solid. I can't believe it's this complicated. THANKS! :)

I am going to have to go eat some collard greens, black-eyed peas and corn bread....I will get back on this this eve...

Taylor

I dont have any idea...LOL I cant believe they dont make a way to change this!!!!! I have never had to change it but I could understand some people wanting to do it. I WILL NOT LET THIS DIE. I WILL DIE TRYING!!!...LOL