Calibrating plotters: how do plotters interpret colors in an image/aerial photo

nrschmid

I am calibrating a new plotter in the office. I often work with color aerial imagery. How do plotters interpret the colors in an image? Does it work pixel by pixel, and if so, does it use an RGB, HSV, CMWK, hexidecimal value? Does the plotter MACHINE just "scan" the image is one "object" or does it work in batches, or "tiles"? I don't want to alter the image in Photoshop just yet, but I am curious as how the plotter MACHINE is determining the color and how bright, vivid, dull, the IMAGE is plotting at?

The other issue is that the newer plotter plots in more vivid colors than our older machines, but the difference between the 255 AutoCAD colors is less pronounced. I am concerned that adjusting the individual RGB values for each of the 255 colors won't make any difference if the NEW plotter is factory-calibrated to produce vivid colors with little difference between brightness, contrast, etc.

On a side note, I do oil painting as a hobby and I run into tinting strengths, brightness, luminosity all the time when mixing various oils, pigments, and binders 8)

After reading through the post I need to ask some more questions to make it more understandable. Are you only concerned with the quality difference of the two printers?