Link mtext to Excel cells

Organic

I had a bit of a search around the net and what I found mostly said it can't be done natively in AutoCad although I thought I might as well ask anyway.

I want to link individual mtext objects in AutoCad to cell contents in an Excel file (like a datalink for a table, but I can't use a table in this instance). Any thoughts?

If it is not possible it is not a huge deal although hopefully the design doesn't change in the future as it will be a pain to update all these manually :)

Watch this post also http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?76346-Import-Excel-to-DWGPROPS

A solution you could have a startup lisp that checks mtext on a certain layer but you need some form of a key to link your excel to 1 piece of mtext maybe object handle. Something about this changes though. Watch post above as you need a get and a put to make it work.

Can you link in the spread sheet to an AutoCAD table, and then use mtext fields to link to individual cells in that table?

I get worried about real time excel to dwg links and updating it takes so little to screw it all up I have always felt its better to a real time update go and open and update. Unless you have 100% confidence that someone will not change say a piece of text and will update the excell as well.

For me the only way to do this is to not edit the text but you must run a program so the true links are always maintained. A bit relevant I have some lisps that check answers and if wrong ask before changing. So your update from excel would highlite any discrepancies before changing where text is not = current Cell value.