How would you make a tapered helix? I have tried various methods for hours...

Al1090

I am trying to model a Ram's head, and cannot get the horns to work. I've used many combinations of the sketch tools and features; helixes, lofts, 3d sketches, new planes, extrusions...the list goes on. I am attempting to make either a square or a round extrusion, just twisted, following a helix. I guess you could call them twisted pyramids or cones, respectively. I don't mind which one, I say feel free to go with the one that is easier to explain.

Loft worked with a 3d sketch endpoint, and made a cone, once I put the helix in as the path to follow it stopped working.

Helix works but cannot taper. It just looks like a spring.

Can anyone please help me?

Here are some resource pics. I would be thankful for either of those types of horns:

http://user9530.websitewizard.com/images/Tables/TB0108_gold_rams_head_table_copy.jpg

http://img0002.popscreencdn.com/127248471_dodge-truck-ramcharger-ram-rams-head-mopar-hood-ornament.jpg

Thank you.

Can't you sweep the profile sketch along the helix as normal (with no taper). Then use the draft option?

If you use the command manager then this will not appear in it.

You will need to go to:

Customize Menu>

Commands>

Features>

Draft

Place the Draft in your toolbar then use on your model.

Hey there, thanks for helping me out! I have the 2010 version. *Edit: and premium.

I tried the draft feature, but I think... I'm doing it wrong... :oops:

Solidworks keeps freezing and "cannot complete draft" anyways. FeatureXpert cant repair whatever's failing, either. Including me.

draft.jpg

Edited by Al1090

I don't think the Draft suggestion will work and would be interested in seeing stevsmith's solution using that technique.

I will try to remember to post a solution tomorrow (not at my SWx machine at this time).

I am using a later version so you wouldn't be able to open my example.

Create a Helix with Taper.

Sweep a line as a surface along this helix.

Create a cone as a surface body.

Find the intersection between these two surface bodies as the path for your Loft from large to small.

Revolve end sphere.

Not exactly the same problem - but this should get you started

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/SolidWorks%20Tutorials/SolidWorks%20Tutorial%207.pdf