Question from an old dummy

Able339

I have been trying to hatch a side view of a concrete floor... It won't do it (aCAD Lt 97). I have a long skinny rectangle and I have (multiple times) clicked on the boundaries (?) - there are no breaks in the rectangle, but when I try to hatch it, I get a message re: unable to hatch boundaries or some such (my memory along with some other personal things is no longer reliable...) I need some help with the hatching, and also, drawing lines at an angle AND... making segments of a drawing move (animating a mechanical drawing re testing it... I used to (10 years ago) be able to do these things on my antiquated version of aCAD but ...... I'll be damned if I can remember how I did it. HELP please.

Edited by Able339
grammar

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Able339

• Murph_map

• Ollie8974

Use the Rectangle command.

Draw the rectangle over the object to be hatched.

The object will be a polyline is a solid line with out any brakes.

After hatching the area erase the polyline.

You can draw a line at an angle using direct distance entry at the command line.

Example: to draw a line 2.5 units long at a 45 degree angle one would type @2.5

You animated parts of a drawing using a pre-2000 version of AutoCAD? I don't recall that feature being available back then.

You can draw a line at an angle using direct distance entry at the command line.

Example: to draw a line 2.5 units long at a 45 degree angle one would type @2.5

You animated parts of a drawing using a pre-2000 version of AutoCAD? I don't recall that feature being available back then.

I know it was a pre 2000 version because I started using it in '98 or so... I really think it was one of the very early versions. All I had was a half dozen or so 3.5 floppy disks with which to install it. There's the possibility it may have been a pirated version but I don't really know. I was supervising a tool room at the time and used it to sheck out the functionality of moving parts... one of them was an unloading device which traveled in and out of a trim press to gather trimmed parts.I was able to "animate" the moving part (a shuttle) and see exactly what the reach was, etc. It worked fine and I cannot for the life of me remember how I did it. I would really like help re: doing that again. and also importantly, thank you for the help re: drawing a line at an angle.

Use the Rectangle command.

Draw the rectangle over the object to be hatched.

The object will be a polyline is a solid line with out any brakes.

After hatching the area erase the polyline.

After many failures, I did draw a bigger rectangle, think ing that what I was trying to hatch was too long and too skinney. The bigger, fatter rectangle wouldn't hatch either. I do not remember the exact verbage, but it had something to do with boundaries... not being able to do boundary hatches or some such. I will go back to the cad, make a rectangle in pieces or as a whole, and try again. I'll write down the reason why it doesn't do it. I am using aCAD Lt 97, by the way.

Just attach a copy of your drawing to your next post. Someone here will take a look at it and tell you what the problem might be.

Sorry but I still believe there was no animation type command in that version of AutoCAD. Maybe you created a slide show and the delay between slides was so small it appeared to be animated.

Could you have used another piece of software for the animation?

Are you still running this on a Windows 95 computer?

Make sure you are clicking INSIDE the rectangle when using hatch command.

Whilst you can pick objects the default (or at least on ACAD 2007) is to 'pick points' which means to click inside whatever you are attempting to hatch

I believe I tried clicking inside of the area I wish to hatch... didn't seem to make any difference. I am somewhat confused (Normal state?) though, re pick points.

The older we get fewer things are worth waiting in line for.

You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word. Al Capone.

Please attach a copy of your drawing to your next post. Click on the Go Advanced button. At the next screen click on the Paper Clip icon. Browse to where your drawing is located and upload it. Finally, click on the Insert Inline button. Throw in a few words of explanation then save it.

Are you intent on ignoring the questions I asked in my previous post?

I believe I tried clicking inside of the area I wish to hatch... didn't seem to make any difference. I am somewhat confused....

This thead should be one question and one response.

1. you delete everything from the file except that which you cannot hatch

2. you attach the file here

3. someone responds that you have your hatch layer turned off or some other simple solution

4. next question (my guess is slide show as well - that is how I did animations back then)

I know it was pre 2000 as I was doing it in '97 or so... I was able to click on features I wished to animate (?) and then move them as a unit such as the parts unloader I designed back then. it was a shovel type of unloader as when the trim press opened, it scooted under the top shoe of the trim die and caught the parts as they were ejected. Only part of it moved and I was able to "animate" that part to see if the stroke and clearances were okay. I do not remember how i did it, though... One could grip the moving part and simulate it's action just by moving it through its slight arc. I have been unable to find any kind of reference in several aCAD manuals as to how I did it .... Poor me!!! Getting old sux!!! There is no future in it.

Too long upon our backs they've trod with boots, rough soled and dirty - so saddle up and kiss your wife and grab your 30-30.

I have nor did I have any idea of how to do a slide show. Back when, I could draw a stick figure of a man and a shovel. I could "animate' the shovel movement re distance of stroke, clearances, movement of the arms and shovel, etc. I did a trim press unloader using that technique. I cannot remember the technique, unfortunately.

I'm guessing by your answer you don't want to let us have a peek at your drawing. Fine by me.

I'm not going to get into an argument over the feature you think you remember using in an LT version of AutoCAD. Animation (or anything akin to it) is not listed as a command in the LT 97 User's Guide I have in my library.

I hope you get your problem solved.

Good luck.

I'll try but no guarantees... What I am unsure of is how to pick a drawing from Virtuan XP and import it to Windows pro 7 then send it. As I said, I will try. The slab i wish to hatch is 38 feet long by 4 inches thick. I am ignoring no one... I am deeply appreciative of the help I am getting. One does not bite the hand of those feeding him.

I was not using Lt back then - It was a full blown version of aCAD - a very old one at that. NOW I am using LT. I have aCAd 11 also. I will load it into the virtual XP section of windows pro 7 soon where it will reside with aCAD LT

You're running a virtual machine?

You do know where you drawing files are kept on your hard drive don't you?

If it was a very old version of AutoCAD then I doubly doubt you had animation capabilities.

I have been trying to retrieve the drawing so I can send it. So far, no good! Yes, I know where the file is, I cannot get to it unless I am in virtual XP mode - I ha ve been unable to access it from Windows pro 7. It still holds true - I have three modes - Presently "sitting dummy", the others are standing dummy and walking dummy. I feel like a fool not being able to do this stuff. Animation may not be the correct term but I could make jointed features move through their pacves. That is not my imagination. The stick man with a shovel is as I described. I used to be able with the old version of aCAD I had make the shovel and the guy's arms move in a shoveling action. It was not a slide show.

I do not wish to argue about this either and I am not being obtuse. It is a thing i could do ten, fifteen years ago and I have forgotten how I did it. I cannot find reference to it in aCAD manuals either... As far as I know it could have been version 1.0. There was no version identification. if there was, I never ran across it.

Well when you finally remember the command please post it and name the version it was available in.

In the meantime save your drawing to a flash drive then upload it from there.