Hello world

george monsoon

Hi, I am new to this forum, and stumbled upon it when looking for a good resource to help improve my skills in 3ds max, and hopefully help a few beginners out. There are precious few good resources for beginners in 3d max.

I am self taught, been working with max on and off now for about 7 years, but only taken it seriously as a career option for the last 2 of those.

Animation and special effects are what I am interested in.

Currently I have undertaken to learn all about Vray and have been playing around with it for a few months now using the suck it and see method of learning. So this year I will be seriously attacking this subject in an effort to tame the beast.

I also like to work in Zbrush, particularly for organic geometry.

Here are a couple of examples of my stuff, to give you an idea what my skill level with 3d max is (or not :oops:)

292309_156533247814183_321629866_n.jpg

and a couple of my videos.

Short funny clip I created as a concept

Full music video for the Hawklords

Rayfire demo reel

[video=youtube;E0sSJg-tXEc]

10712_501640ab3c77c.jpg

John Croasdale.jpg

with texture.jpg

pay.jpg

312851_10150389933018792_565188791_10119559_765940246_n.jpg

new flame design.jpg

2_4ddda50105b08.jpg

Edited by george monsoon

Thanks Cad64, I am still a relative beginner with Vray.

Vray still frame rendering and Vray animation rendering are completely different subjects.

With me, it's all about saving render time. I have three computers, combined I bucket render out to all 18 cores. Vray does not lend well to animation rendering, especially with irradiance, so there is a lot of tweaking to stop blotching or speckling in the output renders.

• 3 weeks later...
realy great work. how did you make the coin faces? Did you model them or use a displacement map?

Thanks, After playing about with this for about six months I settled on a "slight" displacement over a bump or normal. Coins just demand proper geometry relief, and not an illusion.

I really like the closeup of the coins. Impressive work for a "beginner".

Beginner is probably subjective. I also frequent max forums and they are a hard bunch. As far as the level of work on that forum goes, I am still a beginner, having only been seriously studying the software for about 2 years (mucked about on and off for about 7). Thanks for the big up. It is by far my most realistic work to date.