Running dimensions is it possible? Please help

dannysteel

I dont know if anyone is familiar with this but i want to dimension a steel beam and i want to use a "rd"(running dimension) i'm using asd and autocad 2011 and i can't find how to use this command or tool i'm tryng to duplicate a drawing(drawing made with tekla) but im pretty sure we can do it with cad tekla shows the runnig dimension and text on top of the arrow.it's a short arrow that measures from the base point(rd) it's not the whole dimension line like normally dimensioning:(

Thank you so much remark your always the first to reply i appreciated. No that's not what i'm looking for. I think it's a block. I think i got to know the dimension then insert the arrow and input dimension text on top manually.its a short arrow to represent that the dimension comes from the base point.thank you again for your help

Thank you so much remark your always the first to reply i appreciated. No that's not what I'm looking for. I think it's a block. I think i got to know the dimension then insert the arrow and input dimension text on top manually.its a short arrow to represent that the dimension comes from the base point.thank you again for your help

That would be ORDINATE Dimensions. Command Line _dimordinate.

I cannot see these very well, but I have attached a drawing containing a couple of dimension styles very similar to what I think is shown.

You can of course change ARROW STYLES, TEXT formatting etc, using the MODIFY option in the DIMSTYLE dialog.

It is also possible to suppress the first extension line displays, as shown on the right side, but it is risky, as it deletes the visual reference.

At any rate, these should get you headed in the right direction with your dimstyle.

When creating BASELINE dimensions they are stepped by the distance specified in the BASELINE SPACING setting on the LINES tab of the DIMSTYLE definition.

While they are created this way, should space permit they can then be pulled down to the same height. DIMSPACE command will help doing that.

pretty much like these dims.JPG

Baseline and Continued Dimensions.dwg