Classic interface

I really like using the classic interface in Autocad but I didn't see it in the 2013 version. Is my beloved interface gone? Do I have to now relearn where everything is and work slow? Should I go back to pencil and paper like before? Will I ever be able to write a sentence again and not put ? at the end?:cry:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Tyke

• irneb

• Ski_Me

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm using AutoCAD 2013 at the moment and I have an AutoCAD Classic workspace available for use.

Likewise. AutoCad Classic was an option in the workspace gear icon/button selection from what I can remember.

Should all those options fail you, click TOOLS on your MENU BAR > TOOLBARS > AUTOCAD to access all your old toolbars,

enter RIBBONCLOSE at the commandline and hit ENTER,

then go ahead and set up your workspace and SAVE it once you have it configured how you like it.

Define it as your space, give it a name, check out the other available options in the workspace dialog box.

looking for you toolbars.JPG

I have a feeling Dadgad's answer gives us a hint at the problem. Architecture 2013 probably does not have a Classic workspace option and the best the OP can do is try to simulate it. I say forget it and start learning the new interface. You would be doing yourself a favor in the long run. Just my personal opinion which you are free to ignore. Good luck.

If your MENU BAR is not showing, you click on the little black arrow at the right end of your QUICK ACCESS TOOLBAR (above the word TOOLS in my previous image) and click SHOW MENU BAR,

I suspect that you will see the TOOLS menu option as highlighted in my earlier image.

If you do, I think you are home free.

As previously suggested expand that TOOLS drop down list and select TOOLBARS > Autocad.

Also as suggested by Organic, click the GEAR icon in the lower right corner of your screen to see the WORKSPACE selection options

and you will probably see AUTOCAD CLASSIC as one option.

I have never used MEP, but I imagine that you will find these options, hope so.

It seems unlikely to me that it would have been deleted from one version, and still be available in Vanilla Autocad 2013,

where I, like ReMark also have it.

and you will probably see AUTOCAD CLASSIC as one option.

I have never used MEP, but I imagine that you will find these options, hope so.

It seems unlikely to me that it would have been deleted from one version, and still be available in Vanilla Autocad 2013,

Civil 3D forces you to use the ribbon and has done for a few years now. I've never used MEP but I imagine it might be the same.

AutoCad will probably eventually force the ribbon to be used.

I wasn't aware of that, though I know Autodesk wants us all to embrace the RIBBON.

Like the DASHBOARD when I took the basic instruction.

Still worth a look, if that TOOLS menu is available.

I wasn't aware of that, though I know Autodesk wants us all to embrace the RIBBON.

Like the DASHBOARD when I took the basic instruction.

Still worth a look, if that TOOLS menu is available.

Same goes for ACad ACA - also blank menu strips. Only the ribbon is available. There are some work-arounds (e.g. getting hold of an old MNU file and importing into the new CUIx), but most of these mean that new functionality is not available through the menu/toolbar arrangement. In which case I can't see the benefit in actually upgrading: if you're willing to do away with all the new commands because you want to stick with the menu, then you need not have upgraded in the first place!

I'd also advise trying the ribbon. You could even use both at the same time - so you can get to the menu which you know, yet still have all the new stuff which is only in the ribbon. BTW, I didn't miss the menu too much as I rarely used it in any case - I'm a keyboard junky with only minimal toolbars previously. I've since learned to do away with those toolbars entirely and only use the ribbon for these - still keep one hand on the keys at all times - still the fastest way to operate Acad.

Vanilla AutoCAD has the Classic Workspace, the verticals do not, well at least when they are being run as a vertical, but when they are being run as AutoCAD they do have it.

If you really want the Classic Worspace, first start MEP as AutoCAD, then export the Classic Workspace, then Start MEP and import the Workspace.

To run a vertical as AutoCAD go to "Start" > "All programs" > "Autodesk" > ["Your vertical"] > "["vertical"] as AutoCAD"

To export and import Workspaces see this article http://www.lazydrafter.com/autocad-tips/sharing-workspaces-in-autocad

Doing it that way you have your Classic Workspace and all of the commands of the vertical. When starting the vertical as AutoCAD you don't have the verticals special commands. It works in Civil 3D because we have done it.

I hope that helps.

To run a vertical as AutoCAD go to "Start" > "All programs" > "Autodesk" > ["Your vertical"] > "["vertical"] as AutoCAD"
Doesn't exist with ACA. And I've tried using various command-line switches. Always opens as ACA not Vanilla.

Doesn't exist with ACA. And I've tried using various command-line switches. Always opens as ACA not Vanilla.

I can't comment on ACA because we just have MAP, AutoCAD Civil 3D and vanilla. My Dealer told me that all verticals can be started as AutoCAD, but I don't know if that is true.

If you have access to vanilla you could always export the Classic Workspace from there and import it into ACA. Or get someone to export the Classic Workspace and send it you and you then import it. We first did it a few years ago and gradually people have switched over to the ribbon and it's not used any more. I've just done it again on C3D 2013 and it worked, but I shall never use it. Learning the ribbon is not that bad and it is far superior to toolboxes.

I know that Civil 3D can be started as vanilla AutoCad (although we also have just AutoCad - I see the irony in this although its not up to me) although unless you were doing just drafting, why would you want to? You need the panels to access the civil design functionality.

I'd actually like to be able to start ACA as vanilla - there are some things which work easier in vanilla IMO. ACA is as if everything is redesigned, redoing some of the base acad commands as well - it's not just a situation of CUI differences, templates / paths / some commands are also affected. Would be nice to have a choice of which to use when.

And for some reason my PC doesn't have the Vanilla installed. I know that my Laptop has the Vanilla + ACA installed separately, but not my office PC. Anyone know what command-line switches I could try to make a 2nd shortcut to start ACA as ACad?

Anyone know what command-line switches I could try to make a 2nd shortcut to start ACA as ACad?

Try this one irneb, in the properties window of the shortcut for Civil 3D 'Target' I have "...\Civil 3D 2013\AecBase.dbx" /p ">" and for C3D running as AutoCAD I have "...\Civil 3D 2013\acad.exe" /p "AutoCAD". Make a copy of your desktop icon and change your equivalent of "AecBase.dbx" to "acad.exe" in the Target box. If it works you could then change the Comments box to something like "Starting AutoCAD" and select a different icon for the acad.exe file.

I'm using MEP2013. I was looking at the CUI files but didn't see a classic workspace file there's one in MEP2011 which I still have and would like to keep using but the autocad manager says I have to upgrade so it's easier for him to to work with my files. I tried to transfer the work space but it seems 2013 doesn't reconize the old file.