Noting scale in Title Block

Chizzel3

Need help with figuring out what scale to type into my title block. I am in version 2010, doing this via correspondence, never use Paper space or Layout space (are those the same thing?), always draw at full scale, and submit my drawings in Model space.

Here's the thing. In my previous drawings, once completed, I insert a title block and scale it up to fit around the current drawing (in Model space). I have been told to use the scale factor I used to fit the title block around my drawing as the scale in the title block (didn't understand why even tho' I asked and it was explained to me). It seems to work since I have been getting 100% on my previous drawings. My dilemma is now this: I have drawn my Driveway Profile to scale in Decimal units 0.00. I needed to scale this down so that my grid lines measured 1" x 1", so I scaled it down at 1/60 (the lines that need to be 1" were 60 units long), then I changed my drawing units to Architectural inches. When I use LIST, the line measures 1" so I'm pretty sure that is right. Now, when I insert my title block I need to scale it down as it's too big this time. I have scaled it down by 1/7. So do I note the scale in my title block as 1:1/7, or does the 1/60 scale come into play (when I originally scaled down my drawing)?

Sorry about the wordiness of this post - I tried going back to my textbook -to no avail, and I read numerous threads which mostly include Layout space in the mix which I am not doing. Hopefully my question makes sense to someone who can help me.

Crap! Maybe I'm overthinking this - and how did I get to this point in my studies not understanding this? Grrr. Anyhow - I'm working on the Civil Drafting Project from P-F. My drawing is in decimal units, drawn at full scale - Are decimal units always in mm? Or if it's just one unit can I call it mm or inches or feet? I have noticed in other threads specific to this project that the scale in the title block (in other peoples drawings) says 1"=100", but I have put my scale in as 1'=100' because when I inserted my title block, and had to scale it up by 100. Since I never use Paper Space and never print anything (let alone printing something that someone can put a scale to), I'm having a hard time grasping this.

Sorry everyone who read my first post, I just went back to my textbook and answered my own question about the drawing units in decimal being whatever I want them to be. Can we close this post or eliminate it altogether? I'm really embarassed - as I should be.:oops:

The Penn-Foster civil drafting project has been covered in numerous threads found in the Student Questions forum. Most of the threads also contain images of the various plates. I would recommend that before starting a new thread you review some of the previous ones. In most cases I think you'll find what you need.

BTW...as far as I know P-F requires the student to do the entire project, including the title block and border, in model space. I don't think they have anyone smart enough on staff to figure out paper space layouts and the use of viewports.

Good one, Dana!

Thanks, ReMark. I have read numerous threads that have helped me immensely. Everyone here is awesome! Had I not discovered this website, I probably would have given up. Now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Four more courses to go with a 7 week deadline - I'm actually getting to the point where I think I might make it - Yay!

Student Project Questions.

That's the forum you will want to use should you have any further need to start a new thread re: Penn-Foster AutoCAD course work.

Good luck with the remainder of your courses.

• 3 weeks later...