+ Reply to Thread
    Using
    not specified

Default selecting any object

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

anyone know how to send a specific, unselected item to the command line select: here gores l,p,wp,cp,group,etc. is there a way to pass something about the object- like handle or object id, to select the object with select?

Using
    AutoCAD 2015

what software you using?

Forum Deity
    Using
    not specified

It appears you know the object's handle through a previous/current lisp or vba routine. With either the handle or entity 'name' you can set that to a variable, then on the command line enter that variable name during the select command.....but why would you want to?

Using
    not specified

Default selectcommand line only

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

If i manipulate an ent, then do some other stuff, i want to get the entity without user input, some command back or across multiple entiites. Like a user selects 50 poylines, it offsets the poly, going bothways, it passes the polyline twice, to offset in both directions, now i want to reselect that original poly, which has fallen back in the command orders, and across fifty individ ents, so to go back to number 23, would be a user headache, so I could go to the list, in lisp or vb or something, and get the poly, and change him to l-center layer (after all processing all 50, for each 50), without user interuption, so it would be helpful to me, if you would elaborate on what you said for setting ents to variables the command line could recognize- even if the user is uninvolved, i can programmatically control the command line, but would more specifically what you were describing in more detail how you do it. Thanks

And I'm running AutoCAD as the base app, and some desktops over that, bbut this is for the acad command line.Thanks

I think it would be nice to do from the command line also, because you could then have a secondary reference for accessing drawing objects and data, like an external selection set, that feeds autocad the objects, from the identification to it, that could be run then from an external file, which is a snapshot, or a little matrix of the drawing, except you could control object access from say Excel, then you could create datta and object collections by other methods, bypassing the need to pass through 900, or 253,000 drawing entities which is the current mechanism from say vb. from lisp and vba it a lot quicker, but still nothing like working time backwards, and getting your complete selection set instantly, by passing the cad provided loop, and accessing directly. although groups and other interior cad devices allow this, I need to reliably connect acad dwg to excel or access word or frontpage as reliably, and most importantly a way that will bypass acad altogether as far as manual selection, and spearhead directly to a group hidden in the autocad entity haystack. If i run BCOUNT, it is very fast, even filtering and passing through a manual screen selection set, so this need is not real real-time, but as long as your external db snapshot of various object and datat matrices in the drawing is current, (though generated some time in the past ), then this could pass through not a mechanism that says are you a block? are you named this? no, yes, not sure?, but one that says block-idunique, come here, which for fanatical purposes, could be even quicker than a cad mechanism, but those cad selections are always visual, highlighting, regening, etc, from an external model, it could be like the were dissecting you drawing on csi. The other interesting thing is that now, like a google snapshot of a web, you have an autocad picture that is accessible separately from autocad, as a disconnected database, so you could analyze away without auocad. obviously this is not to try and stick it to the acadman, its for uses that are purely data intensive, like stuff in acad models that no one neds to see graphically, thay just want a number, or word, or state of something etc.
    I have a mechanism behind this, but this one i ask about is for use at command line phases of this, my obstacle, is a reliable way of sending an object to the commandline, from some other interior command device, so i can keep the workflow completely automated. Right now a "Select Object or Single Point" is a real bomb to get around when I have to give it some object in the drawing, not the last, previous, window, point or fence, I need polyline 14 of 39. So this is a crucial peaice of my autocad developement and need for some projects. Believe me, all help commeents and knowledge are helpful and appreciated and needed. Whether it was vb, or a commandline input technique, it woul be nice to get access to any drawing object at a select point/object prompt, and be able to type in a word, or have vb sendcomamnd a word, that is the object to autocad
    Thanks