AutoCAD 2013 - Deleting / saving EXTREMELY slow compared to 2012

Ixath

Deleting surfaces (presumably all objects?) and then saving the file is taking an extremely long time in 2013 instead of being instant as in 2012.

This following test was done using the same set of .sat files, the same lisp to automate, the same drawing template file, and every setting, option, and variable I could find were all set the same. I've also tried it with default settings, default template files, forcing the 2013 to save as a 2010.dwg, changing every variable I could find, and anything I could find on Google. Nothing is helping.

AutoCAD 2013

18 seconds: To import, process, and file->saveas 48.7megs of .sat files. Saved .dwg is 15.9megs.

13 seconds: To delete everything (5956 objects, all surfaces) in the newly created/saved drawing.

48 seconds: To file->saveas (on the once again empty .dwg), produces 736k file.

1:19 total

AutoCAD 2012

16 seconds: To import, process, and file->saveas 48.7megs of .sat files. Saved .dwg is 15.9megs.

Instant: To delete everything (5956 objects, all surfaces) in the newly created/saved drawing.

Instant: To file->saveas (on the once again completely empty .dwg), produces 283k file.

0:16 total

It doesn't make sense to me. It takes 18 seconds to import, process, and save a file full of objects, but then it takes 48 seconds just to save the exact same file when it is void of objects.

• I've done the process manually to see if the lisp was the cause, and the delete/save times didn't change.
  • The time increase is present for 4 other people who have tried this. They are in a different office using completely different machines, so the times were slightly different.. but they were still there. I have SP1 installed and they do not.
  • Every file involved is on my C: drive. AutoCAD 2013 is a fresh install (installed it to troubleshoot this issue) and it is not attempting to access any network drive for any reason. Packet sniffer confirms that it's not sending large amounts of data to the internet either.

That's all I can think of. If anybody has any ideas or thoughts please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

Setting CACHEMAXFILES to 0 and emptying the folder went a long way towards helping.

Deleting is now instant and the file->saveas that follows it has dropped from 48 seconds to 25 seconds.

This is still 25 seconds longer than I'd like, but it's a damn good start.

EDIT:

I finally was able to get the save times to be in-line with AutoCAD 2012.. sort of. With CACHEMAXFILES at 0, saving to 2010 format puts the save times where they should be. Saving as 2013 still gives the incorrect and huge save times. This is a problem, since the files have to be saved as 2013. At least I'm getting a lot closer :/

Edited by Ixath

I don't know if this is helpful, but have you turned off Autodesk Support, or the 360 feature in 2013? I believe you can turn it off through Options and some people have reported a large increase in efficiency, although in your situation I can't say if this applies.

I use 2012, but I did a bit of research on 2013 equivelent.

It seems to be very easy to perform these steps with AutoCAD 2013. Thanks #potguy for sharing details that turning off possible with Autocad 2013

It seems to be very easy to perform these steps with AutoCAD 2013. Thanks #potguy for sharing details that turning off possible with Autocad 2013

No problem! :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...
Setting CACHEMAXFILES to 0 and emptying the folder went a long way towards helping.

Deleting is now instant and the file->saveas that follows it has dropped from 48 seconds to 25 seconds.

This is still 25 seconds longer than I'd like with https://peblueprint.com/bathmate-review the new bathmate, but it's a damn good start.

EDIT:

I finally was able to get the save times to be in-line with AutoCAD 2012.. sort of. With CACHEMAXFILES at 0, saving to 2010 format puts the save times where they should be. Saving as 2013 still gives the incorrect and huge save times. This is a problem, since the files have to be saved as 2013. At least I'm getting a lot closer :/

Can you do this in the 2015 version of CAD?

Edited by CrawleyKris