stretching width OR height

NightMist

Hello,

Suppose I have a rectangle 10 x 8 and then I join the middle points of the widths with a line ... so I will end up with 2 boxes of 5 x 8.

Now what I need to do is to stretch the side by 2 units to become 12 by 8 but I want the middle line to move automatically during the stretching process so I end up with two boxes of 6 x 8.

is it possible?

Regards,

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee Mac

• Joelene

• JD Mather

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

Suppose I have a rectangle 10 x 8 and then I join the middle points of the widths with a line ... so I will end up with 2 boxes of 5 x 8.

Now what I need to do is to stretch the side by 2 units to become 12 by 8 but I want the middle line to move automatically during the stretching process so I end up with two boxes of 6 x 8.

is it possible?

Regards,

try using constraints or dynamic block

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

You would want to constrain the dividing line to the midpoints of the sides, if your intention were to stretch the rectangle perpendicular to the dividing line.

Otherwise it would not be self centering, and would require an additional step to move it to the midpoint.

When stretching along the axis of the dividing line, no problem, just select all three grips with a crossing window per JD's and Eldon's posts.

Actually I wouldn't bother to constrain it, as it could be done more quickly in analog fashion, but since you asked.

If you need this on a regular basis in your work, then creating a dynamic block would be the way to go.

If you constrain the three verticals using the symmetric constraint, you can stretch both sides simultaneously using either the STRETCH command or midpoint grips:

symmetricstretch.gif

Though, there are many ways to skin a cat in AutoCAD :)

If you constrain the three verticals using the symmetric constraint, you can stretch both sides simultaneously using either the STRETCH command or midpoint grips:

[ATTACH]39944[/ATTACH]

Succinctly solved Lee, as usual! :beer:

• 2 months later...

Hi, Lee Mac,

Can you tell me how to turn on midpoint grips just like yours on the screen? I am using Auto CAD 2009.

Thank you.

J.

The example uses Geometry Constraints that didn't exist in r2009.

Not sure if midpoint grips existed back then or not. If you click on a line you should get instant answer on that one.

[ATTACH]39944[/ATTACH]

What program did you use to make that sequence?

Thanks guys.

SLO210: I tried the command GRIPS and the available value is either 0 or 1. And neither of them are for mid grip.

I think JD Mather could be right. My coworker uses 2012 cad light and his shows the midpoint. But I will still look up the book that Remark mentioned. Thanks.

Could it be dependent on what command is being used? For example Stretch versus Move?

A quick check using AutoCAD 2007.

I drew a polyline and a line. I clicked on the line and three grips appear (both ends and the middle). I click on the polyline and grips only appear at each end. Could that be the case here Joelene?

Hi, Lee Mac,

Can you tell me how to turn on midpoint grips just like yours on the screen? I am using Auto CAD 2009.

Thank you.

J.

Pline midpoint grips were added in AutoCAD 2011.