Properties Window stays open

CyberAngel

This has been happening for a long time now, but today it's almost nonstop and driving me crazy.

I have the Properties window docked on the left side of my screen. When I want to change the style of a piece of text, for instance, I'll select the text, hover over the Properties window, wait for it to open, and make the change there.

Once my cursor leaves that window, it's supposed to close within a couple of seconds. My "quirk" is that it doesn't. Yes, I can get it to close it by clicking on the outer edge of the window. Half the time that causes it to dock itself against the left border, so I have to click it again to minimize it and put it back where it started.

It's probably a .NET quirk rather than an AutoCAD quirk, not that it matters.

Do you have an AUTO HIDE option in the right click menu?

Is it turned on.

If the properties window is docked, you won't get the contextual right click menu which

I believe includes both AUTO HIDE and TRANSPARENCY.

I believe that you need to UNDOCK it to make these contextual options available.

I am much happier using the QUICK PROPERTIES palette, as it is much faster, easier and customizable by entity types.

Do you have an AUTO HIDE option in the right click menu?

Is it turned on.

If the properties window is docked, you won't get the contextual right click menu which

I believe includes both AUTO HIDE and TRANSPARENCY.

I believe that you need to UNDOCK it to make these contextual options available.

I am much happier using the QUICK PROPERTIES palette, as it is much faster, easier and customizable by entity types.

I have just undocked the window and checked the right-click menu. Auto Hide is on (checked). That feature works most of the time, but it doesn't work all of the time--that's the confusing (and infuriating) part.

Been happening for quite a few releases, don't think Autodesk cares to fix this.

Seems to be working fine so far this morning for me, though yesterday it took ~20 seconds to get it to hide once.

I have seen plenty ask about this on Autodesk, but NO real solutions. I've been contemplating seeing if THIS ARTICLE might work for AutoCAD 2011. Maybe something besides the defaults will fix it?

I can't stand Quick Properties.

has this been an ongoing problem or is it something that just recently started happening?

It's been happening for years, but yesterday it happened almost continuously. I haven't upgraded anything lately. I had started a new project, i.e. a new drawing, but I used an existing template and bound the survey into it.

Been happening for quite a few releases, don't think Autodesk cares to fix this.

Their general attitude seems to be, "If we don't acknowledge the bug, we don't have to fix it." If there were another workable option besides AutoCAD, I'd take it.

I don't use PROPERTIES much, but I believe that if you DISALLOW DOCKING, and you can then size it however you like it,

you may well find that it will auto hide consistently. Or you could opt for TRANSPARENCY,

but that is probably not how you want to work around this issue.

Their general attitude seems to be, "If we don't acknowledge the bug, we don't have to fix it." If there were another workable option besides AutoCAD, I'd take it.

But, surely YOU would break that as well.