Right Autodesk software for the job

dsheli

Hey guys!

First post, been lurking for a while... Great forum. Anyway I work in a fabrication shop and have been using autocad for a long time. Recently we have started using allot of the 3D modeling features of AutoCAD. However I feel we are spending allot of time trying to turn the 3D models into usable 2D detail drawings to hand to our fabricators. For example I will have several HP and W sections drawn in 3d along with plates and channels that are either welded or bolted together. What autodesk product can we use where we can generate drawings to hand to our detailers? Would inventor work best?

No but I can attach something else. What you see is made out of .25” plate, it was drawn in AutoCad and you can see there are several bent edges. I would like to have the ability to explode each of the sides into a plan view for my nesting software. Right now this is just a pretty drawing; I still have to spend a significant amount of time detailing it. The two outer sides are 10 inches tall with the center being 5 inches. The plate is then welded together around the edges so .25” is manually subtracted from each side so it can be filled with a weld.

image.jpg