Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Bivek

• JD Mather

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FourSpheres.PNG

Four spheres each of which have a cube inside. Each sphere is depicted using a different visual style. Note: both the sphere and the cube are 3D solids.

Visual styles:

Upper left sphere - 2Dwireframe

Upper right sphere - Conceptual

Lower left sphere - Xray

Lower right sphere - Realistic

Bivek: Unless I told you otherwise or I outright lied how would you know if two out of the four spheres had a cube inside or not?

This thread was started on February 2nd. It is now the 19th. You should have been able to achieve the desired results by now. What do you still not understand? What are we not making clear? Help us to help you.

Re: "Trimming" objects. When it comes to working with complex objects each set may require a different approach to achieve the desired end result.

Edited by ReMark

No no no you are not gettin me. I am not confused about the visual styles. All that I've tried is to know how to trim off a solid piercing through another solid and the solid pierced is irregular in shape(i.e i couldn't use the slice command). Its just like using intersect command but i wanted to keep one side of the piercing object. Sorry may be I've made it more confusing. See the marks of the trimmed box on the irregular solid. That's what i wanted. I think I've figured it out but yet seeking for a straight short way.

acad.png

acad2.png

Edited by Bivek

There is no straight short way as each set of objects will introduce its own set of problems.

Use the SLICE command with the SURFACE option. If you don't know how to do it then ask for instructions. BTW...I demonstrated this technique already in a previous post so apparently you are still confused.

SliceofPi.jpg

Before on left...after on the right.

How did I do it? I used the SLICE command with the SURFACE option.

What you don't see in this image are the intermediate steps.

SlicedwithaSurface.jpg

The intermediate steps are shown here.

Q: Is this the fastest way to do it? A: I don't know.

Q: Is there a better way to do it? A: There probably is but I don't have the time or inclination to figure it out. Since this is important to you I say that it is YOUR job to figure that out. Report back here with your results. A tutorial would be nice too. I think you owe us that much.

SlicedwithaSurface2.jpg

The two red arrows point to the surfaces used for slicing. After slicing I got rid of what I did not need and reassembled the objects for the final result. You are free to use any method that works best for you. This is but one option and not a very elegant one at that.

SubtractInterfereUnion.jpg

Another option for you. This approach utilized the SUBTRACT, INTERFERE and UNION commands to achieve the final result. Yes, all objects are 3D solids.

No no no you are not gettin me. (i.e i couldn't use the slice command). seeking for a straight short way.

And yet, you still haven't attached your dwg file here.

Attach your file and end all doubt.

Not sure that it would make much difference. I've demonstrated two different ways of achieving the result. I'm sure you (JDM) can come up with two more I haven't even thought of yet.

See the marks of the trimmed box on the irregular solid. That's what i wanted.

Taken literally - the Imprint command will produce those "marks" on the irregular solid.

ImprintCommand.jpg

bivek: End result of using the IMPRINT command. I left the profile of the object I used so you could see it. Do you know how this command works? The answer is not obvious.