trimming problem in autocad 3d

Bivek

hi mates, i have a problem. I created two irregular solids and intersected them and now i want trim the excess solids behind the intersections. how can i do that. I tried the slice command but it asks for surface, mine is solid. In other words HOW CAN I TRIM ONE SOLID FROM ANOTHER?? Plz helpo:)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Bivek

• JD Mather

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Bivek- you can use INTERSECT command, select objects (pick 1st object then 2nd object) then hit "ENTER". Or you may use the ribbon on the top of the user interface please see picture below. 8)

intersect.jpg

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

Glad to see that you are trying to do this in an isometric view, always helps when working in 3D.

TRIM is a 2D command.

You should be looking on your 3D MODELING and SOLID EDITING toolbars or panels for appropriate tools.

The 3D equivalent of the TRIM command is the SLICE command.

Rewind is right on the money.

There are lots of good tutorials on 3D modeling on the Tutorials link at the top of the page.

There are pretty much a handful of commands you will use again and again, but there is no point

in not familiarizing yourself with the group before trying this.

Clearly 2011 has it, possibly 2010, not sure. Still there in 2012 and 2013, but not for all commands.

Some of the more involved commands open a little video pop up tutorial (extended tool tips) too, if you hover over the icon for an interval which you can set in your OPTIONS.

roll over and hover tool tips settingss.JPG

Bivek: Attach a copy of the drawing to your next post. Someone here will take a look at it. If it is too big then consider posting a couple of images so we can get a better idea of what you are working with.

Clearly 2011 has it, possibly 2010, not sure. Still there in 2012 and 2013, but not for all commands.

Some of the more involved commands open a little video pop up tutorial (extended tool tips) too, if you hover over the icon for an interval which you can set in your OPTIONS.

thank you for taking the trouble to post that :D

semms they're not available with 2008. maybe i should accept the upgrade my office keep pushing me to use....the 3D seems to get better and better 8) i usually only upgrade when i'm fed up with using DWGTrueView to backwards convert.

You were offered an upgrade and declined? I can understand maybe skipping every other release but you've turned down at least what, four in a row? Or is it five now?

thank you for taking the trouble to post that :D

semms they're not available with 2008. maybe i should accept the upgrade my office keep pushing me to use....the 3D seems to get better and better 8) i usually only upgrade when i'm fed up with using DWGTrueView to backwards convert.

What versions are others in your office using?

At least go for 2012, it is very stable.

2013 gets mixed reviews and had a lot of early bad press.

2013 uses a new file format, so there are lots of compatability issues

and back-saving to earlier formats. But hey, you are using 2008, so you

save 2007 files, so you know all about that.

I tried the slice command but it asks for surface, mine is solid.

It asks for a surface to use to slice your solid.

There are a whole bunch of (old) tutorials in my signature that describe how to use the Slice command and others to edit solids.

What versions are others in your office using?

At least go for 2012, it is very stable.

2013 gets mixed reviews and had a lot of early bad press.

2013 uses a new file format, so there are lots of compatability issues

and back-saving to earlier formats. But hey, you are using 2008, so you

save 2007 files, so you know all about that.

not sure what they're using - either 2012 or 2013. I think I'd better hurry up and get it....hopefully I can get 2012 (I generally prefer the last version of a batch - certainly not the first) but it's a multi-national company so may well be 2013.

2006 was by far my favourite (but i was doing 2D only then. mainly 3D now).

2000i was also quite good because i could make that crash anytime i wanted a break :-)

not sure what they're using - either 2012 or 2013. I think I'd better hurry up and get it....hopefully I can get 2012 (I generally prefer the last version of a batch - certainly not the first) but it's a multi-national company so may well be 2013.

2006 was by far my favourite (but i was doing 2D only then. mainly 3D now).

2000i was also quite good because i could make that crash anytime i wanted a break :-)

2013 is fine, as long as everybody else in the loop can use the 2013 file format.

3D modeling has come a long way in the last few years, and associative 2D drawing generation

from 3D solids in your modelspace is a huge timesaver. :)

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

Glad to see that you are trying to do this in an isometric view, always helps when working in 3D.

TRIM is a 2D command.

You should be looking on your 3D MODELING and SOLID EDITING toolbars or panels for appropriate tools.

The 3D equivalent of the TRIM command is the SLICE command.

Rewind is right on the money.

There are lots of good tutorials on 3D modeling on the Tutorials link at the top of the page.

There are pretty much a handful of commands you will use again and again, but there is no point

in not familiarizing yourself with the group before trying this.

@dadgad - i agree. its really helps when modeling in 3d with isometrics.

btw, another informative lecture.. :)

I know about the INTERSECT command but that doesn't solve my problem.

Imagine a solid cone and i pierce a lenthy solid cylinder through it. Now we see the ends of cylinder in two sides of the cone. And i want to cut off one end of the cylinder so that there remains only the cone and other end of the cylinder. SLICE doesnt help too.

I don't believe that is what the OP wants. That would give him what passes through the cone but would not eliminate one end or the other of the rod that is on the exterior of the cone.