About dimensions en distance

stef_r

dim2.jpg

Hi all,

I have a question about the drawings above.

When I meassure the distance between two points, it meassures exact 78mm wich is correct. But when I want to 'draw' the distance with the command AMPOWERDIM_HOR it doesn't show the correct distance.

And I can't seem to correct the wrong distance simply to the correct 78mm ;)

My thought is that it has something to do with the scale of the 'paper' I'm drawing on, but I have no idea on how to correct this so I do get the right meassurement drawn.

Can someone please advice me???

dim1.jpg

I don't know if it is a unique feature of AutoCad Mechanical, but yes indeed I do use Mechanical.

But is there is an other way to get the correct dimensions on paper.....

The strange thing is though that on the left side the dimension of 19mm is good on paper.

I'm working on the tab Layout1, if that is what you mean by paper space layout.

Was all your model space geometry drawn at full size? Yes or no?

Are your dimensions set up to be associative (not the same as annotative)?

Was all your model space geometry drawn at full size? Yes or no?

Yes in Model Space I've used the correct dimensions to model the bracket.

Are your dimensions set up to be associative (not the same as annotative)?

As I'm fairly new to AutoCad I'm not sure or where to look for that.

This is what I've done:

1- Went to my tab Layout1

2- Used the command VIEWPORTS to select the right view and type of drawing

3- Placed a rectangle from the upper left corner to the bottom right corner and hit Enter.

4- My drawing popped up :shock:

5- started to draw the dimensions.....

I would add two steps if scale is of any importance. I would assign a scale to the viewport then lock the viewport display.

Re: associative feature. Access it via Options > User Preferences tab > Associative Dimensioning heading (on the right side of window). Make sure the box for "Make new dimensions associative" is checked off. Then press either the OK button or the Apply then the OK button.

One last thought. When you make you picks for dimensioning are you using OSnaps like Endpoint?

Ok, I think I've figure it out now!

It was indeed about the scale and once I´ve set it to 1:2 the bracket shrinked a little and all other dimensions I add are correct now.

And yes, I did / do use OSnaps to automaticcly select like the middle point of a circle when I hover my mouse over it.

One thing; when I plot my drawing, all dimensions are yellow and very poorly visible.

Were can I change this text color and what (standard?) color would you suggest??

Do you normally plot in color?

I usually have a dedicated layer called, what else, Text and I assign it the color black or red so I can see it displayed against the white background of my layout. This is all taken care of in the Layer Properties manager.

Maybe a stupid question, but can I adjust that (the text layer) with a current drawing or is that something I need to set up first bofore even go to the layout page?

The option to do what I said is always available to you. However, in the future it might be wise to add a Text layer to your default template file.

Layer properties manager looks like this, just in case...

Click on the colour to change it.

Ignore the circle drawn on this screenshot, it was for something else

Viewports.jpg

:thumbsup:Ok, Thanks for the tip.

(I did found it allready though)

I've also managed to create a nice border with the use of Atributes and some auto-filled fields like date and sheet- & filename on it.

Once I've finetuned my final layout template with title border etc, I will post it somewere here on this forum.

(My little contribution for all the great help I receive here :D )