extrude comand

D Mills

Having trouble extruding 2d object can not extrude on a path! Help please been 4 days now and can not figure this out. Currently using 2006 version.

I am typing PE then M then J then then it is asking me to enter fuzz distance or [jointtype] : (which was not covered at CU) can someone please explain what is required at this point.

Thanks

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• D Mills

• f700es

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It sounds like you have gaps/overlaps at the ends of adjacent lines.

Attach a copy of the drawing file you are having problems with to your next post.

The trouble-maker contour may have a gap, as ReMark said, or overlapped segments. Can you post it here? Just delete everything else from the drawing and call PURGE command to clean it.

Are you having trouble with PEdit or Extrude?

Fuzz is a distance that the lines can be apart and still be joined.

What is displayed on the command line after you try to EXTRUDE?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40103[/ATTACH]

I'm back.

The white line did not connect to the endpoint of the line on the left.

The two short line segments in front (either side of the arc) were drawn with your UCS in a different orientation than the lines you were trying to connect them too.

I was able to fix both problems.

Now what piece of geometry were you trying to extrude along a path?

I see no "solids" but I do see 3Dfaces. What's up with that?

(which was not covered at CU)

Thanks

Were OSNAPS covered? You shouldn't need the Fuzz option that has become a focus of this thread.

Osnaps.PNG

I recommend that you do this entirely as solids rather than as the surfaces you have.

Start simple with one profile at a time and post the file here each step of the way (or at least at any step you have trouble with).

I don't see anything that I would choose to Extrude with Path option.

I would recommend that you avoid drawing everything on layer "0" then overriding the color for that layer which happens to be white.

I would also recommend that you use a different color for each of the layers you create so you can tell at a glance what objects are on what layer.

ChevyLogo.PNG

Visual style: Conceptual.

3D solid.

Please reset object color to "ByLayer". It is annoying to draw something on a specific layer and have the color be different than what was assigned.

Well you have a couple of bad habits that you should rid yourself of sooner rather than later.

Did you look at any of the tutorials here?

The truss drawing would be so much better, and more useful to you, had it been done using 3D solids.

Did you know that 2D views can be extracted from 3D models when done correctly?

I can draw 2D all day just started teaching myself 3d....

Then 3D will be easy. The first step in 3D is to create 2D with accurate Osnaps.

Draw your first 2D profile and attach it here.

Then someone will explain the best way to generate the 3D (solid) directly from what you already know - the 2D.

The Chevy emblem would be an excellent starting point. Draw it as 2D and attach the file here for next instruction.

3D_Truss.jpg

A portion of your truss drawing done in 3D as a solid.

Everything in your drawing was created using lines.

Edited by ReMark
The OP uses UCSFOLLOW

Yeah, I opened up your Main Trusses 3D drawing and there are some issues there (as Remark has stated). I also agree that it seems you have picked up some bad habits that need to be unlearned brfore you can really go forward. My main complaint is that you have only added more work for yourself to make the file "look" correct.

Solid modeling is the way to go for this. Your sizes appear to be off in this drawing as well. The wood beam between the trusses has a size of 8" x 22". I think we can get you going in the right direction.