Troubles Creating a New Family in Content Center

cweed21

I have been stumbling through creating new families in content center on and off for the past few months. I recently created a new Family with a part that I drew up. Since this went fairly easy I decided to keep going while everything was fresh in my head. Now I am stuck again.

I want to create a new family called "Nipples" in the Tube & Pipe category. When I publish my sketched part I cannot select or create a new family in that category. If i create a new category called Nipples in the Tube & Pipe category all the parameters are also copied. I do not want this.

Now, I can create what I need fine if I create an entire new category but I want this to be a family in the Tube & Pipe category.

Does this make sense to anyone? I tried to explain as good as I can but I am getting frustrated with the forum at AutoDesk where I really never get my questions answered.

I am using Inventor 2013.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that what's happening is that your Tube & Pipe category is in the Autodesk content center, which I'm pretty sure you can't modify. When you create a new category, it's going to be in your custom content center library, which is not read only.

We have this set up in our read/write library and have copied the existing Nipples family which I can edit all I want. I would edit this how I need it but the way the length is set up is an issue. Right now you can select any length, above the minimum. I want to put in the available lengths to us, roughly 1/2" increments. Is it possible to change this?