.pdf.drf-fileformat?

Tiger

Hai all,

Anyone ever run into a file with the extension .PDF.DRF ? Yep, two dots. This is the second time I have gotten one of these from my client, last time he claimed that he couldn't get me any other format.

If Google is to be trusted, .DRF is a CAD/CAM-format - but there is no way he has any CAD/CAM-software.

Is it possible to have a double file extension? If I just remove the .DRF the file won't open, Adobe just says it's not supported/broken.

I thought DRF was a digital camera raw format file type. I think Kodak developed it.

Could your client be sending you a picture?

What if you rename the file leaving off the .PDF and try opening it with Adobe? That's Adobe Photoshop by the way not Adobe Reader.

BTW...what kind of business is your client in? There might be a couple other DRF file formats that are applicable.

yes and no

the first extension (.pdf) should be considered as part of the file name, the .drf is the extension. My guess is that it was a pdf file and has been converted into a drf file whatever that may be.

A DRF file contains unprocessed, raw Kodak Digital Camera data. It saves photographs exactly how they were taken and does not adjust color. DRF files are large but easy to edit in terms of color balance and exposure. They are supported by Contenta Converter Premium and BatchPhoto. Other examples of RAW files include NEF and MDC.

Edited by dbroada
link removed

Could be an image, that is not that farfetched actually. I don't have Photoshop here so can't test it myself, I'll attach the file, changed to a TXT-extension so remember to change it, if someone wants to try.

I removed the file simply because its a clientfile that shouldn't be floating around - eve if its impossible to open

Edited by Tiger

23 bytes isn't an image file of any kind.

Ah. You are right about that. And the FreeFileOpener just showed a black screen.

Anyway, I will get back to my client and say that I can't open the file and he will have to learn how to send me a PDF - the rest of his collegues send us PDFs, can't understand why he can't.

I just can't resist a bit of detective-work - thanks both for helping me :)

Can I ask if this person is an older individual? Reason I am asking is that when I started work after college I worked for an office that had a person that would rename file extensions to say what the file was. Say they typed a memo they would name the file something-something.memo but it would be a word doc. I am very open and forward at times and I asked why in the world would they change the extension of the file like that? They had no idea what I was talking about.

Sometimes a person will think that renaming a file means nothing more than adding another dot and the file type neglecting to remove the original file type.

Just completely sloppy imho and honestly almost inexcusable. I can't think of a single time I have renamed a file extension by accident, even when I was learning computers.

and with the Windows default set to hide known extensions a way that .exe & .scr viruses sneak in. You might see the Doc.pdf bit without realising it is really Doc.pdf.exe and double click.

Just completely sloppy imho and honestly almost inexcusable. I can't think of a single time I have renamed a file extension by accident, even when I was learning computers.

I could see it happening if someone were in a rush or never had done it before.

I would not say that the client is of the older variant - especially in this group :oops:

He probably just don't care and expects me to just fix it since after all he's paying me.:roll:

• 6 months later...

I don't know what the problem is, but avoid freefileflipper.com [cited above] at all costs. It will only give you headaches. It turns out it has all sorts of trojans and you end with lots of products like conduit.com that you never knew you were having added to your computer.

... Been there .... Done that... And regretted the heck... still trying to get the computer back to proper state.

PS PDF.DRF extension - is when someone mistakenly makes a PDF of an image e.g . in an email with PDF etc.

- ask them to send you the PDF

yes and no

the first extension (.pdf) should be considered as part of the file name, the .drf is the extension. My guess is that it was a pdf file and has been converted into a drf file whatever that may be.

try this

http://www.freefileopener.com/how-to-open/drf/

I don't know what the problem is, but avoid freefileflipper.com [cited above] at all costs. It will only give you headaches. It turns out it has all sorts of trojans and you end with lots of products like conduit.com that you never knew you were having added to your computer.

... Been there .... Done that... And regretted the heck... still trying to get the computer back to proper state.

PS PDF.DRF extension - is when someone mistakenly makes a PDF of an image e.g . in an email with PDF etc.

- ask them to send you the PDF

I have removed the original link but it was not to the same site you pointed out. Are they related?