Redefine block with script

eyde

I am writing a script to redefine the title block but am having some trouble with it.

The main problem is that when I wblock the new title block and use the block option Instead of picking the block itself there is no block in the new drawing.

If I wblock the title block itself then this is what I get

Command: -INSERT

Enter block name or [?]: "catalog web border=F:\Engineering\BORDERS\catalog web border.dwg"

Block "catalog web border" already exists. Redefine it? [Yes/No] : y

Block catalog web border references itself

that is because you have a block called Block catalog web border within the drawing file Block catalog web border.dwg

I am getting confused by your use of WBLOCK. This is the way to write blocks to a file and nothing to do with inserting a file.

If I have to redefine a block I use the INSERT= method. This will allow the redefine from an external file.

I also insert the new border (so now I have the original border but redefined) plus a new instance of it. I then ERASE L(ast). I find this easier than escaping out of a script.

Well I finally found out what was wrong. The wblock that I thought did not have a block in it actually has the definition in it. So I was able to write the script with no problem. What I did was open my new border.dwg and went into the block editor and wrote the block to a file. This exploded the block and just kept the definition.

blockreplace.scr