Ceiling Grid - Using Hatch

dsibbo

I want to add a ceiling grid to my rooms. I am using a hatch to do this.

So I draw a polyline around my room and select the hatch net.

My hatch then displays at 600x600 within the room.

The only thing I want is for the hatch to start from the centre of the room and work outwards. This is so I have a centre run of tiles and then they work outwards at 600mm each tile until they reach the outer wall and the last tile will be reduced equally at each side.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• waltspar

• ReMark

• RobDraw

• f700es

I'm not sure that I would use a hatch pattern to do my ceiling grid. I'm thinking an array of some type would be a better option.

A second option would be to find and use a custom ceiling grid lisp routine. I think the Buzzard posted one he created in a previous thread. Check the Similar Threads below.

In your hatch edit dialogue box, on the bottom left there is an option to select origin, simply hit this and move the origin to where it is needed.

I think that Mike tells what you need.

But I dont know if you can control well enough the distance of the Net hatch. I remember I once prepare a simple 1x1 grid hatch so you can easily scale it from the hatch dialogue box, adding:

*FLOORTILE_1X1,

0, 0,0, 0,1

90, 0,0, 0,1

in the acad.PAT and the acadiso.PAT

• 2 months later...

I am working with a drawing that has a ceiling grid hatch that i set to 2' each way, moving the origin to the center point of the room does not adjust the grid to be centered in the room. Any input is appreciated.

WES

I am working with a drawing that has a ceiling grid hatch that i set to 2' each way, moving the origin to the center point of the room does not adjust the grid to be centered in the room. Any input is appreciated.

WES

Are you using HATCHEDIT or using the ribbon to edit the hatch origin. It works fine here.

Some ideas, these may already be in the other ceiling code post.

vert spacing, hor spacing = rectang tiles,

pick bot left, top right finds mid

when picking need pick pline for boundary

ok tiles options centered bot left, top right etc 5 options.

draw lines too long

using "extrim" pick pline bang all done

NOTE I would take approach of any shape up front, have a search here for "chevron" it does something similar.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?59026-Road-Hatching&highlight=chevron

; this use the extrim command to trim shape
; By Alan H Jan 2012
(defun C:Chevron ( / obj pt1 pt2 pt3 pt4 newpt1 newpt2 )
(acet-error-init (list
                  (list   "cmdecho" 0
                        "highlight" 0
                        "regenmode" 1
                           "osmode" 0
                          "ucsicon" 0
                       "offsetdist" 0
                           "attreq" 0
                         "plinewid" 0
                        "plinetype" 1
                         "gridmode" 0
                          "celtype" "CONTINUOUS"
                        "ucsfollow" 0
                         "limcheck" 0
                  )
                  T     ;flag. True means use undo for error clean up.
                  '(if redraw_it (redraw na 4))
                 );list
);acet-error-init
(setq obj (car (entsel "\nPick pline or circle")))
; should do a object test here
(setq whatis (cdr (assoc 0 (entget obj))))
(if (= whatis "LWPOLYLINE")
(princ)
(progn
(princ "\You have picked something other than a polyline ")
(princ "\Remake into a pline and do again ")
(setq dummy (getstring "\press any key"))
(exit)
) ; progn
) ; if
(setq pt1 (Getpoint "\nPick Line start point"))
(setq pt2 (Getpoint pt1 "\nPick end point"))
(command "line" pt1 pt2 "")
(setq gap1 (getreal "\nenter spacing 1"))
(setq gap2 (getreal "\nenter spacing 2"))
(setq pt3 (getpoint "\nPick 1st cross point"))
(setq pt4 (getpoint pt3 "\nPick 2nd cross point"))
(setq dist (distance pt3 pt4))
(setq x (fix (/ dist (+ gap1 gap2))))
(setq newpt1 (strcat (rtos gap1 2 2) ",0.0"))
(setq newpt2 (strcat (rtos gap2 2 2) ",0.0"))
(repeat x 
(command "copy" "L" "" "0,0" newpt1)
(command "copy" "L" "" "0,0" newpt2)
)
(load "Extrim")
(etrim obj pt1)
(acet-error-restore)
) ; end defun

(princ)

It is very infrequent that I see a ceiling grid that is a hatch. Whenever I need to adjust one, I explode it. I can see how making one can be done quite quickly with hatch but I've always found it a lot easier to adjust one that is lines.

Are you using HATCHEDIT or using the ribbon to edit the hatch origin. It works fine here.

Thanks Rkent - I was selecting the origin point and and moving it to the midpoint of a line across the room, no joy. But selecting it with hatchedit and choosing the origin at the midpoint did it. Not sure why that is not the same procedure to AutoCAD.

WES

I can see how making one can be done quite quickly with hatch but I've always found it a lot easier to adjust one that is lines.

+1 It is almost too easy to just draw it and be done with it.

I here ya Rob, but exploding is loses all the advantages that the hatch provides. Now you know how to align it, so hopefully you will not explode it in the future. Do you do the same with blocks or do you redefine?

WES

I was already aware of how to adjust a hatch. I was just stating that I prefer to make adjustments to lines rather than a hatch and will continue to do it that way. BTW, I do not appreciate what you are implying with the question about blocks.

Rob - that was a question, not an implication. I know different people handle it different ways. I now a lot of people that have been using AutoCAD for 10+ years and still explode blocks. Sorry if I stepped on your feelings - that was not the intent.

Your original post did not indicate that you knew how to adjust the hatch which is why I made that statement.

Your original post did not indicate that you knew how to adjust the hatch which is why I made that statement.

I must be bad at English as well as CAD because I thought I said I find it easier to adjust lines.

I was going to take this offline but because you have chosen to not receive private messages, so I am posting this here.

Why would you ask that question in the context of this thread unless you were implying that, in addition to exploding ceiling grid hatches, exploding blocks is also wrong? You probably know that it is usually a bad practice to explode blocks and asking someone if they explode blocks in the context of your message implies that they use improper procedures. I think that most of the people here would agree with me, even if they don't like me. I believe that is exactly what you were saying.

Actually I did not choose that, as I just joined this forum yesterday I did not tweak all the settings. It has now been changed - Feel free to email me personally. To your post though, I already apologized for my mis-read - Twice! So for the third time, I am sorry - I am now done with this exchange.

WES

Interesting exchange.

I hope you stick around Wes as I might need some advice on electrical schematics. Hate to lose a good resource.