How do I plot 20 acre area on multiple pages?

Mir Ali

Hi everyone

I wanted to plot 20 acre residential scheme, that i have designed in Autocad, on a scale of 1"= 40'. I have a normal laser print and am willing to plot on a4 size paper. Kindly help!

Thanks.

Well that is going to make the process a bit more problematic.

Your paper size A4 is metric yet the scale you have specified, 1"=40', is commonly used in the United States. Why is that?

Well that is going to make the process a bit more problematic.

Your paper size A4 is metric yet the scale you have specified, 1"=40', is commonly used in the United States. Why is that?

I tried printing few minutes back and got the desired result but Autocad only plotted on page. Since the plotting was done to the scale that i wanted hence the difference of units doesn't matter except that i got only one piece of the plan. Thank you.

The simple answer to your problem, as outlined in the thread title, is that you cannot plot multiple pages from Model space in one operation. Each page has to be set up.

The simple answer to your problem, as outlined in the thread title, is that you cannot plot multiple pages from Model space in one operation. Each page has to be set up.

Okay but how do I do that? The plan is drafted on the 1:1 scale.

The proper way is to do it through Paper Space, but I find it just as easy with multiple sheets to do it in Model Space.

First of all, decide on a sheet size. If you want to use A4, then you have to decide how large are the margins. I draw up the frame at the natural size, then insert it as a block into the drawing at the required plotting size.

Then arrange the sheet layout by copying the frame to cover the required area. It is easier to have no overlap between sheets, but if you need to overlap sheets, then the blocks have to be on different layers, so you freeze some when plotting others.

Then you can plot by window, selecting by means of the frames. You can do this for every sheet. The picture below shows some A4 sheets at a scale of 1 to 500 over a residential scheme.

SheetLayout.JPG

The proper way is to do it through Paper Space, but I find it just as easy with multiple sheets to do it in Model Space.

First of all, decide on a sheet size. If you want to use A4, then you have to decide how large are the margins. I draw up the frame at the natural size, then insert it as a block into the drawing at the required plotting size.

Then arrange the sheet layout by copying the frame to cover the required area. It is easier to have no overlap between sheets, but if you need to overlap sheets, then the blocks have to be on different layers, so you freeze some when plotting others.

Then you can plot by window, selecting by means of the frames. You can do this for every sheet. The picture below shows some A4 sheets at a scale of 1 to 500 over a residential scheme.

I really appreciate your kind reply but kindly help me out with the scale. As i mentioned the drawing is prepared on 1' to 1' scale.

I am not used to imperial scales, but 1" to 40' is the same as 1 to 480. You must be very careful to work only in one unit. Do not mix inches and feet, there is a scale difference of twelve there.

Work out the maths and you will see that 20 acres can be covered by 6 sheets (nearly) of A4 size.

You'll be plotting using a "window". You'll set the scale to 1"=40'. Then before you do anything else you'll hit the Preview button and see for yourself what is going to be plotted. If you are satisfied everything is in order then go ahead and plot.

Why is that the fault of AutoCAD?

You made the decision not to utilize paper space layouts and viewports by doing everything in model space. Once you did that you hobbled yourself when it came time to plot all 20 sheets.

Why is that the fault of AutoCAD?

You made the decision not to utilize paper space layouts and viewports by doing everything in model space. Once you did that you hobbled yourself when it came time to plot all 20 sheets.

Right, maybe i need to take AutoCAD tutorials. I am just a beginner and bachelors student.

Make the program work for you and not the other way around. Take advantage of features that are supposed to make your life easier. Work smarter not harder.