Block Editing and Lineweights

robnad

I edited a block in a drawing which had exactly the lineweight I wanted in my layout. After I edited it I lost the lineweight. If I try to change the lineweight for that layer it only affects the attribute. Does anyone know what I did and how I can get it back the way it was?:unsure:

First try changing your block's lineweight propertiy to "By Layer". If that doesn't work, check to see what layer in the block editor is current for your block. If the block is created on layer "0", then it will take on the properties of whichever layer it is then inserted in.

If it is not created on layer "0" then it will retain the properties of its created on layer, no matter which layer the block is inserted in.

Sometimes, the objects in a block are not all created on the same layer, so you can do things such as...

To have multiple colors and/or line weights within a block after insertion, objects will either have to be created on a layer with those properties (not "0"), and have their property assigned to "by layer", or create the objects on any layer other than "0" and assign specific properties to each object. You can still create objects in this same block on layer "0" and have their properties change to the insertion layer's properties.

Thanks Dana. I think my problem started when I inserted the block from another drawing onto the wrong layer (I didn't notice what layer I was on in my destination drawing). I could not find anywhere in the block editor, however, where I could change the layer the block was drawn on (which I assume in my case was the layer I inserted it on).

Thanks Dana. I think my problem started when I inserted the block from another drawing onto the wrong layer (I didn't notice what layer I was on in my destination drawing). I could not find anywhere in the block editor, however, where I could change the layer the block was drawn on (which I assume in my case was the layer I inserted it on).
While in the block editor, it's Just like in modelspace, select the parts of the block you want to move to another layer and click the layer dropdown menu, then click the destination layer. (or type in whatever layer commands one uses when not using the toolbars. I can't recall it right now.)