Metric dimension inputs in an imperial model

Hi All,

Rather than scaling down the model which i have in imperial to metric, is there a way to have my dimension inputs in metric without converting it manually? Btw, if version matters i am using P&ID 2009

You can change your "units" on the command line via the -DWGUNITS command. Don't forget the dash. In the future you might want to consider using a metric template.

Or show both an imperial dimension AND a metric dimension by selecting to display alternate units on the Alternate Units tab of your dimension style.

I may be wrong, but I read the request as being able to DRAW in the Imperial Drawing (dimension input) using metric input without converting the drawing to metric..

I may be wrong, but I read the request as being able to DRAW in the Imperial Drawing (dimension input) using metric input without converting the drawing to metric..

Basically if you check my drawing, the line which has the dimensions on it shows 20m and in drawing units its 66.7 (i.e. feet). Instead of drawing a line with input 66.7, is there a way i key in 20 and in the drawing it draws out a line with 66.7 units

its from another person.

i want to maintain the overall drawing in imperial and i want to draw with metric input. Have tried -dwgunits and doest seem to work or maybe i got it wrongly

Did you know that your rectangles do NOT have ninety degree corners and that opposite sides are NOT the same length?

I also believe that your inherited drawing has been done using decimal inches. Using the Distance command and measuring across the length of the smaller rectangle, midpoint to midpoint, AutoCAD returns a distance of 66.8565 which if converted to feet and inches would be 5'-6 27/32". It seems you are nowhere close to being 66.7 feet which in feet and inches would be approximately 66'-8 3/8".

Assuming now i take the units as dimensionless. on my new drawn items can i specify a scale 20:66.7?

66.7 / 20 = 3.335

At the command line, start the line command, pick a point, pull your cursor away from point, type (* 20 3.335). I am not sure that is the correct coversion from meters to feet, you better check that first, I get 3.28084 when I look it up.

I am not sure as to why you are so averse to scaling the drawing. If you always scale about the point 0,0, then coordinates will be preserved.

I have the need to draw in both Imperial units (canvas marquees only come in feet) and Metric units (Frame tents only come in metric), and I have set up a scaling aid as shown. Merely Scale by Reference. Very easy as long as you remember to have all layers unlocked and on :lol:

ScaleAdjust.JPG