DWG True View 2013 - trouble exporting to PDF or DWF

Jodym

I am trying to create a pdf file from a dwg file, using DWG True View 2013. I am NOT a CAD user, so all of the terms are new to me. I read that sometimes it's better to convert the DWG to DWF first and then convert it to PDF. So, I tried 'export' to DWF after trying 'export' to PDF. In both cases, after pressing SAVE, I tried to find the new file and couldn't. Basically, I am trying to print out a DWG file (that is in color), so when I print the DWG directly, you can't see the lines very well. That's why I'm trying to convert it to a pdf first. What am I doing wrong?

Using DWG True View 2013, you can set the default location for plot to files operations.

I have never found the command 'export' so I always use the command 'Plot'

• 11 months later...

Jodym, I feel your pain. We've struggled with this as well. We can't use PLOT at all the way Eldon can ... no matter how many times we sent out PLOT settings to print a monochrome (i.e., blakc and white) PDF, we end up with a color one. It's as if the sytem ignores the settings we put in.

We have had success with the EXPORT to PDF function, however. When you choose EXPORT and then choose PDF, it opens up a traditional Save as PDF dialog box which allows two things. First, it allows you to set options for Export and Page Setup. Second, it allows you to dictate where you want the resulting PDF file to be located, just as my normal Adobe Acrobat allows. I have a step-by-step cheat sheet we use here and would be glad to email it to you ... just need to know where. :)

If you can't plot a pdf in Trueview then something is being done wrong. Do you know how to plot in AutoCad? If so, then it is a piece of cake. If not, then there is a pretty good learning curve.

If using Export, which I don't recommend, are you trying to print a modelspace view or a paperspace layout?

Are you using the current page setup (layout) or using the overides options?

If overriding, are you selecting the correct plot style table?

Deltona-- Thanks for your response. I tried using the Export function and I specified a path to save the file. I also found a way to specify using the color 'black'; for all colors used in the CAD file, so I was hoping to be able to get a black PDF of my plan. However, when I pressed "Save" I still couldn't find the file. I looked in the folder where I specified the path and then I even searched my entire Documents folder for the file name. No luck. The new PDF file does not exists. I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong. Could you please send your step-by-step cheat sheet to jodymorse@comcast.net? Thanks!

Jodym, I feel your pain. We've struggled with this as well. We can't use PLOT at all the way Eldon can ... no matter how many times we sent out PLOT settings to print a monochrome (i.e., blakc and white) PDF, we end up with a color one. It's as if the sytem ignores the settings we put in.

We have had success with the EXPORT to PDF function, however. When you choose EXPORT and then choose PDF, it opens up a traditional Save as PDF dialog box which allows two things. First, it allows you to set options for Export and Page Setup. Second, it allows you to dictate where you want the resulting PDF file to be located, just as my normal Adobe Acrobat allows. I have a step-by-step cheat sheet we use here and would be glad to email it to you ... just need to know where. :)

I am not familiar with AutoCad, which I'm sure is part of my problem. I don't really understand a lot of the terminology. I was hoping the DWG TrueView would be designed for people that don't use AutoCad all the time. Otherwise, wouldn't you just plot and print from AutoCad itself? Why use a dumbed down version like a free DWG reader?

You wrote that you don't recommend using the Export to PDF function, so what do you recommend? I tried exporting the Model space and then I tried exporting the tab that says Layout 1 (is this the same as Paperspace?) I also used the 'Overrides' option so that I could change the colors to black. This is the primary reason why I want to convert the file to a PDF. When I print directly from TrueView, the resulting printing is very pale, because it uses the underlying colors. I want the colors to all show as black. Whether I exported the Model tab or the Layout tab, I couldn't find the exported PDF file anywhere in the Documents on my computer.

.....wouldn't you just plot and print from AutoCad itself?

I have a previous version of AutoCAD, and DWG TrueView allows me to use drawings that are saved with newer versions.

You wrote that you don't recommend using the Export to PDF function, so what do you recommend? I tried exporting the Model space and then I tried exporting the tab that says Layout 1 (is this the same as Paperspace?)

I have always used the Plot in AutoCAD, so have never bothered with the Export in DWG TrueView. I can now see what the difference is. It is much easier to specify monochrome in the plot style table. If you go to Plot in TrueView, there is an arrow at the bottom right of the dialogue box which allows you to see more options.

Export.JPG

PlotOption.JPG

• 2 years later...

It's hard to believe that it's been two years since I posted to this forum. I have yet to figure out how to print anything from DWG Viewer or to save anything to a PDF file. I tried again this morning and found these old forum postings. In reviewing Eldon's advice above, I realized that the screen shot he showed was Plot-Model. I had been trying to Export or Plot - Layout. So, I tried to go to the Model tab and then chose Plot. Then I realized that I don't have any PC3 files or PC3 printers defined. I just have my laser printer that is attached to my PC. Is that my problem? Do I have to have a special Plotter set up? And maybe that's why I can't export to PDF and save it to my hard drive (the pdf file is no where to be found, after I 'save' it on DWG Viewer). I am trying one more time to get advice from this forum. Is there a simple way to print a layout or to export to PDF, so I can print a layout?

....So, I tried to go to the Model tab and then chose Plot. Then I realized that I don't have any PC3 files or PC3 printers defined. I just have my laser printer that is attached to my PC. Is that my problem?

These are the default plotters when I installed up my DWG TrueView 2013, as seen in the Plotter Manager. Your setup is perhaps lacking???

PlotterManager.PNG

Thanks, Eldon. I DO have those, but never scrolled down to see them. Now I just used the Plot feature again and chose the DWG to PDF pc3 file. I set all the other settings to exactly mirror what you showed in your post a couple of years ago. The file DID save this time as a PDF, so I'm getting closer. Unfortunately the file was 1K and completely blank. I used the drop down choice of "Limits" and set the Plot Offsets to exactly what you had. Any ideas of what I can do to make this work. I'm thinking that maybe I need to use a simpler DWG reader/printer product. I really just want to be able to print DWG files that my architect provides to me. Or convert them to PDF files that anyone can view/print.

I usually plot a Window. I had not altered the Plot Area in those previous pictures. When you scroll to Window, you then can pick the window to plot which encompasses the required detail. It needs a bit more thought to get it to plot exactly to a required scale, but it is possible without going to a Layout in Paper Space. I have been doing this way for 20+ years, so it is all a bit automatic for me, and I may leave out some necessary details. If in doubt, please ask more. :)