Text parameter

addesigns

Ive been posting alot here haha. I am wondering how to add a parameter that will give a drop down of text for a family. I like to learn diffrent things about revit and I would like to have text in a family and be able to change it with any while in the project. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is the wrong way to approach Revit. You don't want to use Text at all in Revit. Obviously this is hard to do when you're in the beginning stages of using the program, but this is the where you want to end up one day. They way you want to approach this, is to use Tags, which populate items in textual form that are used in a project.

For example: This "Family Dropdown" you're trying to do. The "Family" has a Mark Parameter or a Type Mark Parameter already tied to it. You fill this info in, and you place a Tag that is directly linked and associated to that particular Family object. This way, no matter what View you're in, and no matter how many times this Family ends up on a Sheet, when you edit this info, the Tag will populate the changes so there's no need to go back View by View or Sheet by Sheet to edit them. This is the old school "AutoCAD" way of doing things.

So, do not use Text. Use Tags instead. :)

You don't want to use Text at all in Revit.

This generalized statement is not true. Annotation text is still necessary for a number of things in Revit but it should not be used to tag devices as you explained. I'm sorry, I don't want to continually correct you as I have respect for your knowledge and always read your posts with interest but you often make broad brush statements that could be misleading to beginners and I don't want them to get the wrong idea.

Thanks Rob. I am not trying to tag anything. This is more just for fun and learning and practice. I figure the more I learn and more I ractice the better off I am, obviously. I was just curious if there is a way. After a little research, it looks like I would have to create a couple diff families and nest in the parameter. I am going to do more research on the correct way to do it, or just press a bunch of buttons until i figure it out.

This generalized statement is not true. Annotation text is still necessary for a number of things in Revit but it should not be used to tag devices as you explained. I'm sorry, I don't want to continually correct you as I have respect for your knowledge and always read your posts with interest but you often make broad brush statements that could be misleading to beginners and I don't want them to get the wrong idea.
I do understand what you're saying, and thank you for throwing the disclaimer out there. I do know when a response is an honest one. What you have quoted me is too "black and white", I do agree. I guess I should say is "you want to minimize using 'dumb annotative text' every chance you get". That would probably be a more fair statement.

At my company, we try and tag as much of the model as possible. We leverage the power of keyed notes, etc. The way the O.P. described his approach, I knew right away he's trying to label something, which surely should never see "dumb text" - ever. This action at my company could very possibly win you a trip right into the Revit manager's office.

:)

Thanks Rob. I am not trying to tag anything. This is more just for fun and learning and practice. I figure the more I learn and more I ractice the better off I am, obviously. I was just curious if there is a way. After a little research, it looks like I would have to create a couple diff families and nest in the parameter. I am going to do more research on the correct way to do it, or just press a bunch of buttons until i figure it out.
addesigns, please understand... you really should not move forward in this manner. If you are going to learn Revit, then do yourself a huge favor and learn it right. Revit is not an extension of the drafting board, like AutoCAD is. It's a very complex design tool that will make your life so much easier when you use it in the proper manner.

I know what you're wanting to do. You're wanting to recreate an AutoCAD dynamic block with visibility states. The answer to your question is "Yes" this is possible but you will not see me offering any advice in accomplishing what you're wanting because it will only handicap you in the long run.

I say this to you not in arrogance, but in true sincerity.

I appreciate the input stykface. I am working on running Revit in a proper and efficient manner. Usually the things I am saking about is the stuff that I can play arond with in my spare time. My company is pretty new to the revit world, myself not as much, but I have not the experience I would like to brag about yet. My company s still trying to get a grasp on company standards so Ive not much to worry about since only a few are fimiliar with the program. I have been trying to learn as much as possible and all the diff ways to accomplish them so that I can help to contribute and be somene to be asked for advice. This question I asked at the beginning would not be something i try to implement, just a curiousity of my mind. Thanks all for the help, and I am glad there is this help out there to answer my questions, when I can ask them properly. :)