Paper Space Scaling

Buddy Love

When set up my drawing in paper space it is just a big cluster. When i scale it, the drawing disappears. However, when i hit scale to fit it returns but the drawing is still in a cluster. Can someone help me please!!!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buddy Love

• ReMark

• BIGAL

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please define "cluster".

You have a viewport (or more than one) and you have applied a scale to it. OK. What scale did you use?

BTW...was the geometry back in model space all drawn to FULL size? You did not scale anything in model space did you?

I have it scale to 1:40 in model space in paper space no matter what scale I use the drawing disappears. And yes I am using more than one viewport.

When I say cluster, everything is all in one spot with the text being very big and hard to read. I will try take a screen shot and send it.

It sounds as though your model space entities were drawn "to scale" much as one would do if manually drafting a map on a drafting board.

Where are you located?

Is this drawing in imperial or metric units?

I am located in The Bahamas, and I am using imperial units. Everything is fine in the model space its just the paper space gives me a problem every time. The first drawn I did two weeks ago I was able to scale my PS but now I can't without it disappearing.

I have it scale to 1:40 in model space in paper space no matter what scale I use the drawing disappears. And yes I am using more than one viewport.

When I say cluster, everything is all in one spot with the text being very big and hard to read. I will try take a screen shot and send it.

That is causing you a serious inconvenience. It should be full size in modelspace. Try scaling your paperspace viewport 40 times bigger than you would think you need. Your image is not disappearing, it's shrinking down to a dot.

If drawn true size in modelspace sounds like you have not drawn your "Titleblock" in Paperspace at 1:1 if no title block then draw a rectangle = to the size of your paper sheet 11x7 16x11 36x24 make a viewport inside this rectang then your scaling should work. You do have to set a sheet size

Can you post a copy of the drawing? It'll be much easier to work with than an image which is just a pretty picture.

Full size in model space would be 1:1.

How much AutoCAD experience do you have?

Why are your borders over in model space and not in your layout?

Note: It is highly recommended that viewports be placed on their own layer and the layer set to "no print".

It is usually not a good idea to override a layer's assigned color.

Re: Layout named "Cover". The viewport is on layer "0" and you overrode the layer color from white to magenta. Why?

Re: Layout named "Road layout". You have four viewports. Two are on layer MVIEW (color - magenta) but two are on layer "0" (color -white). What are you attempting to do in this layout? Your street layout is not oriented horizontally. Why?

What scale were you thinking of using to display the road layout? What were you going to show in the other three viewports?

Re: Layout named "Profile 1". You have two viewports both on layer "0". You have duplicated one of the viewports (road layout) from the previous tab. What is the reason for doing this?

Re: Layout named "Grading & Drainage". There is a single viewport on layer "0". Nothing is currently shown in the viewport.

Re: Layout named "Details". Same conditions as the previous layout.

Model space. You have four borders labeled E01 thru E04. Where were you expecting to use these?

Much of your model space geometry appears to be located such that it has negative Y coordinates.

Unfortunately much of the content created with AutoCAD Civil did not come through when I opened your drawing in AutoCAD 2013.

I'm really at a loss to understand a lot of what you did and without access to Civil I'm not sure I can be of much help to you either. Sorry.

Edited by ReMark

@ ReMark I actually have quite a bit of experience I usually change my viewport layers and print setup when I am done with the layout setup. However, since I was having problems scaling I didn't bother to set up much.

As for boarders that was something I made up and it's just easier for me to set that up in a viewport and scale.

I am new to 2010 as I had 2006 before which is much different. Really wish you could of helped me as I have been stuck on this for a while now. Thanks for the help so far.

If you are going to go through all the trouble to utilize paper space layouts then ideally you want your title block and border to be in the layout and not over in model space.

As previously mentioned it is also advisable that a separate viewport layer be created rather than dropping viewports onto any layer that is currently active. This really should be incorporated in the template you use rather than setting it up repeatedly each time a new drawing is created.

What scale were you thinking of using for the road layout?

Do you mean 1"=40'?

Your road layout currently has a scale assigned of 1"=200'.

Edited by ReMark
wrong scale called out