Attaching Street names from Excel sheet to Polylines automatically

shashidharga

Hi friends,

I've a map of an area, which has more than 50 streets and I want to name the streets from the excel work sheet. The streets are polylines. I want to show the street names on the polylines. I've no knowlwdge of programming.

Thanx in advance,

Shashi

How does each polyline know whether it is supposed to be Smith Street, john Street or something else?

If it is only 50, I would just manually do it.

Thanx for the reply.

I've street names as data in a table (excel). Want to attach these street names to streets (polylines on the map). So that tha street names are displayed over the polylines.

shashi

OK.... I've data (street names) in excel sheet and I don't know how to connect it to autocad to display above the polylines (streets). Like annotation or fields or labels.

shashi

Thanx for the reply organic...

I've mentioned here 50 as an example. In my map I've 3 Districts, each district has 8 to 12 talukas, each talukas have more than 200 different streets.

shashi

I’m sorry, but I’m afraid you didn’t understood me.

You have an AutoCAD drawing that contains a bunch of polylines representing some streets. Also, you have an Excel worksheet filled with the names of the said streets. What you need to provide is the rule that exists to link each of those names with the corresponding polyline.

By "rule" I mean, do you have a coordinate along each name (a point that reside on the corresponding polyline or close it)? Or there is a parsing rule of the Excel table vs. the sketch? Based on this information someone will be able to suggest a solution.

Again, an excerpt of data may help a lot.

Thanx again for your detailed reply.

There is no cordinate details or specific rule or relation. I want to place these text from the database to the autocad.

shashi

If there is no rule that you can follow to link the names with the corresponding polylines, then I really don't see any automation solution for your issue. Sorry!

Shashidharga,

Where or how did you get the dwg/map and the street name file? If they came from a GIS package you may be able to import/data connect to them with Map3D and it will label them for you.

Hi murph_map....

The map I got it as dgn file with data attached to it as oracle database. But I've only the map and the excel copy of the road attributes. I want name the streets like in the Google map.

shashi

We do stuff every day with maps from our GIS you need to go back to the DGN guys and ask if they have street names as a dgn. Else use google map insert a image under and use it as a guide for the street name location. You will have to do manually.

You will find all maps start life as a manual input at some point some one has to create it initally, about the only automation available would be to bring up a street name and then ask where to put in dwg.

The big question why are you doing this?

Hi Bigal..

I want to take the plot of all the taluk maps on an A1 or A0 size Paper and submit to the higer authorities to takeup the road construction/maintanance activity of road networks. Each taluk has got 150 to 200 roads/streets. To locate these streets, naming streets on the map is necessary to quickly find or identify the streets.

shashi

Hi Bigal & Murph ..

How about this "Auto field"

http://www.cadig.com/products/autocad-field.php

Is there any thing like this to insert names from excel (free)

shashi

FREE, not that I know of. If you ask the source to save the dgn to ESRI shp files with the street names attached then you can import that into AutoCAD Map3d and it will lable all the streets for you.