Slice

Lentezza

Hello,

I have the following situation to resolve:

I am in the process of drawing a corner bench which later on I will produce from solid wood.

Bildschirmfoto 2013-02-27 um 17.15.30.jpg

I am at the point of drawing the corner piece of the seating surface. I´d like to this with sweeping and slicing the profile of the seating surface. Because this way I will have the the correct edge profile on the very tip of the corner piece on the inside corner of the seating.

Benchcorner 123.dwg

To make it as simple as possible I tried using the green extruded part for slicing the swept part of the seating surface (brown). But it did not work.... With the SLICE command it seems I can´t choose such an object as the slicing one...

So instead I put the green planar surfaces. Did not work either...

I am sorry, this seems to be a very basic question.

Still: help very welcome!!

If I have been missing a thread or a tutorial that will be answering my question please let me know.

Greeting from Austria

Len

Edited by Lentezza

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Lentezza

• togores

• the downing effect

You can try the two solid editing commands I posted in the thread http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?77186-New-3DSolid-TRIM-and-SPLIT-commands.

They are a great addition to the standard 3dsolid editing commands. AutoCAD does not include them, but they are included in Sketchup 8.

They are two of the sample programs from my book "AutoCAD expert's Visual LISP"

Could you demonstrate the use of SPLIT using the OP's drawing?

What would the SPLIT command accomplish differently than what I show in my posted image?

Thanks.

Strange. No responses from either poster with a different idea.

OK...well here is what I've come up with as being the problem:

BenchSeatCornerCloseup.PNG

The two circled areas indicate areas where material was removed by staying true to the profile. I don't see anyone making this bench seat going through all that trouble. So, how would it be done in real life? I'd like to know for my own education. Thanks.

BenchCornerCoped.jpg

I am not a carpenter or a furniture maker but if I were building this bench seat this is how I would create the inside corner. Laugh all you want but after a half dozen beers you won't even notice!:shock::lol:

Hello,

thanks to everybody, especially ReMark!

Just got back to my computer. (I started the thread last night before going to bed...)

I´ll have a close look to your posts now and will be back later.

Thank you once again ReMark, the obvious solution was the good one!!! Sweep is really a great tool!! No slicing necessary really...Thanks to everybody else for alternative suggestions anyway!

Concerning the realization in solid wood...: explaining this in english is even harder than trying to describe CAD-problems...

For esthetic concern (imho) and also keeping in mind the swelling and shrinking movements of the boards, it is better to let the boards "follow the sweeping path". This obviously makes the corner piece a separate one. If you take the drawing I attached for the SLICE-question you can easily understand how I will produce the profile for the tip of that piece: first I´ll produce a square part of board like the brown object in the drawing. Before I´ll cut the shape of the corner piece from it, I´ll do the fillet of the edge with a router in the region of the tip.

Considering the way I do the construction with the corner piece being separate your suggested above solution thus obviously is much harder to realize.

Hope my above explanation can be followed....

When I see your posted image I'll understand better. If it were my bench I'd keep it simple so even a caveman like me could do it!:shock:

Would it be easier to do if the corner did not meet at a point?

Could you demonstrate the use of SPLIT using the OP's drawing?

What would the SPLIT command accomplish differently than what I show in my posted image?

Thanks.

I hadn't examined the drawing. No need for anything special, just the regular SLICE command.

Just take care that ths surface goes beyond the solid's extents.

I attach the sliced drawing.

Benchcorner 123.dwg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx to everybody once again. I have been busy changing computers.....

Guess I´ll have to work a bit more on my basic 3d-skills......

• 1 month later...