AutoCad V Draftsight

DODGE

Hi Guys

Just wondered, does anybody know the major differences between AutoCad and Draftsite? I am thinking of downloading this program to use on my other machine when not in the office. I don't want to waste too much time downloading and playing with it if it's no good.

Anybody?

Dodge 8)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• CadOasis

• welldriller

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been using Draftsight for about 6 months. It won't run Lisp routines, it has no Express Tools and no 3D. So depending on what you need to do, it may or may not work out for you.

I have downloaded DRAFTSIGHT 2 different times and had the same problem -- could not get the curer to quit jumping around.

Acted as if always the grid & snap were on. I had a list of free cad programs that worked ok but cant seem to find it now.

Draftsight has worked fine for me. I'm not sure why your cursor is jumping around? I've recently switched to ProgeCad though. It has 3D functionality, Express Tools and it lets me use my Lisp routines. And it's only $400. :)

Hi Cad64

Yes I am familiar with with the name ProgeCad and think that it may be a good program.

For others that can not afford to by programs there is a ProgeCad Smart that is a free copy now here is the BUT you can not use it for commercial or business purposes.

You can also go to http://www.freecad.com and they have 4 or 5 pages of free cad programs and it tells you a little about each one.

Edited by welldriller
hit wrong key & only posted greeting

Just thought of something that may be the problem. I am using a 2nd hand HPVectra computer running Windows XP and AutocadLT 2000 which is too old to even update.

I've posted two threads about CAD software. One lists FREE programs (mostly 2D) for those of you who are not students (students can get free software from a number of sources) and the other thread lists low cost alternatives to full AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT. Did you happen to read either one of those welldriller? They can be found in the Useful Links forum.

i had the jumping problem with draftsight on my old laptop, but it seems much better on the new laptop. you might also want to try nanocad, which comes from russia but installs in english. it runs smoothly for me. i miss that it doesn't print to PDF, but i can use Autodesk DWG Truview for that.

Draftsight has worked fine for me. I'm not sure why your cursor is jumping around? I've recently switched to ProgeCad though. It has 3D functionality, Express Tools and it lets me use my Lisp routines. And it's only $400. :)

Heh Cad64

I just took a look at the ProgeCad and it looks very good, I am goint to download the free trial. What are your thoughts on it. Do you think it's on par with Revit or ASrchicad for instance?

I also just downloaded Draftsite and had a quick play, it's like a very early version of Autocad but not too bad. One thing I couldn't find was Dynamic input, can't live without that one, anybody know if it's there?

Thanks for all the input guys.

Dodge

Heh Cad64

I just took a look at the ProgeCad and it looks very good, I am goint to download the free trial. What are your thoughts on it. Do you think it's on par with Revit or ASrchicad for instance?

I like ProgeCad. It does everything I need it to do, and the price is nice and low. I recommend that you try it yourself though, and make sure it does everything you need it to do. I've never used Revit or Archicad, so I can't compare.

• 1 year later...

Hi ReMark, I've been trying to find the thread posts you mentioned in this post and can't locate either of them or the Useful Links Forum - I am not familiar with this site yet though and maybe I just don't know where to look?

I've posted two threads about CAD software. One lists FREE programs (mostly 2D) for those of you who are not students (students can get free software from a number of sources) and the other thread lists low cost alternatives to full AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT. Did you happen to read either one of those welldriller? They can be found in the Useful Links forum.

ReMark: Yes i did read your post and also checked them out. Very helpfull. Right now I am without a compouter and only get on line when i go to the liburary, so it takes me a while to answer anyone. Also a lot of pages to check out when i do get here.

• 1 month later...
how can I write CO2 in draft sight

There doesn't appear to be a subscript feature under special characters in Draftsight so my suggest would be to type out CO2, highlight the "2" and change the text height to make it smaller. Here is an example of what that would look like:

CO2 Draftsight.PNG

Best solution I can come up with at the moment. Note: my version of DS may not be the latest. I haven't checked in a while.

• 5 months later...