create cut fill surface from excisting surface in Civil 3d

smileyours

Im currently using an addon for Civil 3D called Novapoint. It allows me to create 3D models of surfaces made out of 3d faces and easily models cut and fill 3d-models for me.

The only thing i need to create a cut and fill model is one or several ground surfaces (existing ground, earth layers, rock etc. whatever i need) and a closed polyline/3Dpolyline that represents the level I want my cut and/or fill model.

I enter the spcifications I want such as; earth cut angle, rock cut angle, fill angle, select which surfaces i want to include in the model calculation and select the polyline.

Novapoint then calculates the cut/fill model from the surfaces to the polyline and models the different cut/fill angles and gives me the results in a 3d-face model and a specification of the volyme of rock cut, earth cut an fill.

This is great in many ways but has the following problems;

1. Novapoint is quite unstable and crashes alot

2. You cant create profiles out of 3d faces

3. Novapoint does not automaticly combine the start surfaces with the modeled cut/fill surface

4. A large surface made out of 3d-faces demands alot of computer power

So I want to how I do the same that Novapoint does for me in Civil 3D? (I have access to Civil 3D 2007-2013 depending on which one you're using)

I know I can take the 3Dfaces i created in Novapoint and make a surface in Civil 3D with them but I want to exclude Novapoint completely.

I attaced a cut/fill model that I made with novapointcut fill example 2.dwg

It is probably possible although I don't think it will be easy. When I calculate volumes I am normally looking at total cut and total fill based on the assumption that it is all a uniform soil. I've not done cut/fill calculations over multiple layered surfaces before although I imagine it is possible.

I doubt whether a 3D polyline is sufficient to define your cut/fit however. I'm not so familiar with grading feature lines although perhaps they could be of use to you.

It is probably possible although I don't think it will be easy. When I calculate volumes I am normally looking at total cut and total fill based on the assumption that it is all a uniform soil. I've not done cut/fill calculations over multiple layered surfaces before although I imagine it is possible.

I doubt whether a 3D polyline is sufficient to define your cut/fit however. I'm not so familiar with grading feature lines although perhaps they could be of use to you.

Ok. Thx. Another thoght, if i make the cut/fill model in Novapoint and take that 3d-face model and create a surface with it in Civil. Can i combine the cutfill surface with the Excisting ground-surface? I want the cut/fill-surface to override the elevation in the EG-surface and create a new surface. Possible?

It seems pointless to me that you are using a 3rd Party program for things that can be done with Civil 3D.

The only thing you would need to do extra in Civil 3D is create Surfaces for your different levels. I think Feature Lines would be the way to go for ease of use, or grading objects.

You can Paste the Design Surface into the existing Surface to create what you are looking for.