can some one make attribute for my t.block?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dbroada

• ReMark

• neophoible

• Tyke

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't we already cover this topic in another thread of yours? I recall supplying you with a sample attributed block as well.

didn't we already cover this topic in another thread of yours? I recall supplying you with a sample attributed block as well.

coulde'nt got you please can you make and fill up aal details in my title block

I just came across a thread you posted on 21-Feb-2011 inquiring about attributes. Yes, that's right. Just a little over two years ago you asked about how to create attributes. Please click on the link to your own thread and look at my response. I pointed you to three articles I wrote about working with attributes. The articles contain the information you need to get started. Please read them. If you have any questions about anything in any of the articles come back to this thread (do NOT start a new thread) and ask. We'll do our best to answer them.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?57049-wht-is-attribite-pls-help-me-step-by-step-and-why-we-ru-using-att&highlight=working+attributes

I can't do it here as I don't have AutoCAD at home but I wouldn't do it anyway. Attributes are so basic you really should be trying to make them yourself. Asking for the finished artical will get you nowhere.

If nobody actually comes along and does it for you....

open the drawing

type ATTDEF

fill in the TAG (must be unique and without spaces)

fill in the prompt (a clue to what the attribute refers to

OK and place attribute

close drawing

start new drawing and insert your last one. The attribute should be there.

That is all there is to it.

I didn't follow ReMark's links but now I have I see we have both had goes at this in the past. Has what we have written so difficult to follow? I think I will stop here as I am clearly not making an impact.

I provided you with a very simple (one attribute) block in your other thread. It was saved in AutoCAD 2000 file format so you should have been able to insert it in a new drawing with no problem.

I can't do it here as I don't have AutoCAD at home but I wouldn't do it anyway. Attributes are so basic you really should be trying to make them yourself. Asking for the finished artical will get you nowhere.

Personally I find them one of the more advanced features of AutoCad. As I use them primarily in titleblocks also I find I rarely have to create them. When I do however, a simple google search refreshes the memory enough normally.

I have reread all three articles I attached to the thread from 2011 and there is more than enough information to get someone started with creating an attributed block.

Personally I find them one of the more advanced features of AutoCad.
They can be used for advanced features and there are a few trip ups but in my opinion adding a few attributes to a block is a very basic task.

Personally I find them one of the more advanced features of AutoCad. As I use them primarily in titleblocks also I find I rarely have to create them. When I do however, a simple google search refreshes the memory enough normally.

I'd be interested in JD's opinion on this. It's one of my pet peeves--TBs & BOMs with text instead of attributes. I hope the OP gets fixed up.

When I first started in AutoCAD, attribs may have been a rather new feature, but a very welcome one for which I found all sorts of uses that helped our company streamline monotonous tasks and have more organized drawings. Though many quickly learned how to use them in existing blocks, I don't think many, if any, learned how to incorporate them into new blocks. They are not that hard to create, but if you have someone do it for you or you feel you are in too much of a hurry, then you may never bother to learn.

When I first started in AutoCAD, attribs may have been a rather new feature, ...

I don't know when you started in AutoCAD but block attributes were around in AutoCAD Release 10 in the eighties! Perhaps some of our more knowledgeable members can be more specific on the date that they were first introduced. I have a feeling that they were there in the very first release, but I'm not sure. Not that it matters, I'm just curious.

I don't know when you started in AutoCAD but block attributes were around in AutoCAD Release 10 in the eighties! Perhaps some of our more knowledgeable members can be more specific on the date that they were first introduced. I have a feeling that they were there in the very first release, but I'm not sure. Not that it matters, I'm just curious.
That is my memory too. I can't remember them from release 2.6 but we didn't get very far with that. By the time I used it properly (about R10) they were being used in all our drawings.

That is my memory too. I can't remember them from release 2.6 but we didn't get very far with that. By the time I used it properly (about R10) they were being used in all our drawings.

Just found something in the interweb that nails down the introduction of attributes. You were right Dave they were already there in R2.6, they came in "Release 5 (Version 2.0) -- October, 1984". Here's the link:

http://ronleigh.com/autolisp/ahistory.htm

I don't know when you started in AutoCAD...

Well, that information is easily findable…but I'll make it even easier--v2.62. So, my CAD days don’t date back quite as far as the introduction of Attributes, though my CAD desires do—I hated the board!

Perhaps my memory is linked more to how much Attributes seemed to be used by others around me at the time, rather than to how available they were. Dave’s memory sort of makes my case there, since he didn’t remember them even though they had evidently been there for years.

I can't remember them from release 2.6 but we didn't get very far with that...
Or we could all be misremembering things. Hmmmm.

Of course, there has been a lot of time for things to change. And that gets back to what I was saying in my post. The reason I’m interested in JD’s opinion is he is a professor. I’m interested in anyone’s opinion regarding how much Attributes are actually taught in AutoCAD courses. They seem to be underutilized, even with something as basic as titleblocks. But perhaps that’s just my perception, fueled by my experiences with getting TBs & BOMs with text instead of attributes. But then I also get TBs that appear to have been completely exploded. Perhaps the previous user didn’t even know how to change the attributes?!

I’m just very curious how hard these things really are to the average user/student. The OP evidently hasn’t gotten it, or else not bothered, in two years! The few who have chimed in saying they personally see them as easy enough seem to be pretty savvy users, well above average, more like gurus.

Or we could all be misremembering things. Hmmmm.

I'm a prime candidate for not remembering, it's all to do with my age! But I do remeber when I was teaching (part time) AutoCAD R12 in the mid 90's, block attributes were a major part of the course. Whether any of my students ever used them I really don't know. In the company I was working at at that time the boss refused to allow attributes to be used, because he didn't understand them. Even now I feel that in certain companies and situations that they are very much underused. We use them for our title blocks, but not for much else, only because they are inappropriate for our work. We attach information to objects as XData when we read in our survey data, which helps us significantly in our work.

I’m just very curious how hard these things really are to the average user/student. ... The few who have chimed in saying they personally see them as easy enough seem to be pretty savvy users, well above average, more like gurus.
I find using attributes to be easy enough, nothing really different to defining a block and everybody in my company can competently create blocks with attributes, it's part of their in house training. But for people working alone or in small groups with no one to help them along, attibutes can be a bit daunting - the fear of the unknown?

I shall be interested to see the responses that come in.

my problem with release 2.6 was that it was a free program which my company "bought". We had a single 2086PC (yes, 2086 - not 286) for 4 of us and time only available during lunch so not much time to learn, made even harder by the AutoCAD having all its save functions disabled. Therefore each day you could only really start from the begining again so progress was very limited. I don't remember attributes but I wouldn't have done if they were more than 10 pages into the manual.

Here’s an idea for folks with no attribute savvy. Cheat, but at least do it yourself.

1. Go to a drawing that has a titleblock block with attributes.

2. WBlock that titleblock Block to a new name. Do NOT change any originals!

3. Open your titleblock DWG that you want to be ATTRIBUTEd.

4. Open the titleblock you just created with WBlock.

5. Copy & Paste whatever Attributes you need into your titleblock.

NOTE: They will look like text but are called ATTDEF (Attribute Definition).

You can edit them for appearance and even change their Properties.

6. Save your new titleblock DWG and use it as you would any other.

Of course, it would be better to learn how to do it right, but this might help get you started in that direction.