Newbee Question about assemblies and parts?

trussman

As the title of this thread states I am a newbee and this question may sound stupid but I have fount that the only stupid question is one that has not been asked so here goes.

I am wanting to create a truss design using tubes I have the tube parts made already, but can not seam to figure out how to attach them I have tried constrains and it only work on some of the parts but not all of them and I also can not figure out how to evenly space the parts.

Here is a basic idea of what I am trying to do as you know it is a truss made of tubes and to keep it simple I want to make a ladder truss so there are only 2 paralleled tubes and a bunch of solid diagonal braces I want both the first and last brace to end with the same amount of distance to the end of the tubes.

Sorry for this being dragged out in description but if there is anyone who can sort of show me how all this is done would be great.

I know how to do all this in the real world but am needing to know how to design this stuff using a comp now.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trussman

• JD Mather

... show me how all this is done would be great...

Frame Generator

Go through the Help>Learning Tools>Tutorials and Skillbuilders.

Post back if you can't find the tutorials for the Frame Generator.

Thank You Jd I did have any tutorials besides the bottle one and I think I do now downloading them and getting ready to install them as I type will let you know if it works or not I did find the frame generator tut also.

Ok I see know how to force a constrain so to speak using that method I think the tutorial was good also, but they could have walked me through how or at least told me where to go ton create the skeletal frame, unless I just missed it.

Ah never mind I found that tutorial I told you I was a newbee lol

Edited by trussman
Found what I was looking for

Ok I have it now. I have managed to create a skeletal part and skin it with the material I choose thanks for your help

Edited by trussman

So now I have a basic ladder truss how do I go about making a box or a triangle truss sorry again for my ignorance

well I tried to make a tri truss skeleton but it only came up as 3 legged ladder truss lol I must be missing something, do I create a new sketch on different plains for the other sides? Or do I need to do it using 3d sketch? I tried the 3d sketch but having problems with placing the lines on the correct plains and I cant find a tutorial on 3d sketching.

Create your base sketch (is it square or triangular or other).

Create your apex sketch.

Attach the file here.

After I get this down I know I am going to need to learn how to edit the material specs I know how to pick a selected material to use but how do I alter things like the wall thickness of the material for like the tubing for trusses.

example:

I am wanting to use 1 3/4" round tubing with a wall thickness of .125 of any length.

The only thing I can find close to this in the material list is pipe extra strong. I cant seam to find the wall thickness.

This is going to take some time and I will be leaving soon on vacation (not all that hard, but have to unlearn some things).

Your Sketch1 confuses me since it isn't fully constrained.

Did you intend the diagonal trusses to be equal length or some 45° (can't be both).

See attached.

and you might read this.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

The other questions about material specs and sizes answered later.

Trusses.ipt

This is going to take some time and I will be leaving soon on vacation (not all that hard, but have to unlearn some things).

Your Sketch1 confuses me since it isn't fully constrained.

Did you intend the diagonal trusses to be equal length or some 45° (can't be both).

See attached.

and you might read this.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

The other questions about material specs and sizes answered later.

Yes equal lengths

The truss file I attached was just a quickly put together one for example.

I suspect this is what you will end up doing (I just started - didn't finish until I confirm this is the right direction).

I am sure it is right with the truss sections on all four sides how did you create that box and will it show up on the drawing I am presuming it wont.

The box is a surface body created by Extruding a rectangle (in this case a square) as a Suface Body Output (see the Output options in the Extrude command).

This give planar faces on which to create sketches and also gives reference for the size/shape of the boom.

It does not appear on drawing (unless you set it to) and in fact can be turned off at any time (find the Surface Bodies folder at the top of the browser, you can right click on it and unselect Visibility).

Surfaces are infinitely thin and have no volume, weight or other material properties.

A common example is to use as "keep out zone", in other words a machine might take up this envelope of space - so build the frame around it keeping out of this surface boundary.

OK that makes sense sort of :), as you mentioned the box being a surface body and it being a rectangle or square in this case what about a triangle truss how would I go about doing that?

OK that makes sense sort of :), what about a triangle truss how would I go about doing that?

Create a Polygon 3-sides and extrude. (Note that a polygon does not automatically have a horizontal or vertical constraint on one of the lines - you must add it.)

If the ends are different sizes then Extrude with Taper (if you know the angle) or Loft if you know the beginning and end sizes but don't want to calculate the angle (especially as as in my Crane Boom example where the angle will change or not be uniform on all sides). I like to use geometry to do my calculations for me rather than trig.

Great help JD I have managed to create a complete box truss 4' section and gained the some working knowledge on the process.

I am sorry if I get confused at times when learning like this and I know I have a long way to go to complete my design plans.

have a look and let me know if I have missed anything out that might conflict with anything later on I have attached my files

[ATTACH]40684[/ATTACH]