Opinions please. Would revit be a better option for our drawings?

jiggly_jelloo

I realize that this question will be subjective, but currently we are using ACAD for all of our drawings. The company I work for builds custom site trailers (think ATCO style) and are generally either 12'or 14' wide by 30'-60' long. My understanding is with revit you would build a model then from that model you can create all of your cross-sections, elevations and plan views, and any updates made to your model would then automatically reflect in those views.

Since our structures are generally not very large or complex I would think that it would save a lot of time to just create 1 model then all the required sections from that rather then drawing all the sections, elevations and plan views. Or am I off base on that?

Thanks,

Colleen

Revit could work. I think it depends on what your desired output is and how much time you want to invest in setting up a template.

We're using Revit for some custom air handlers we build (among many other uses), and once the template is created with most/all of the required families, views and sheets, it has been a HUGE time saver over AutoCAD.

Revit is not the end-all-be-all. I would download trials of different software, try them out and see which feels most natural, intuitive and easiest to learn for you. Go with that one.

Thanks for the opinions. I used Pro/engineer for the past 10ish years and I really liked how I could make a model, then create my views and sections from that model. When I updated the model the changes would automatically reflect in the views. It was a bit more work up front, but saved tons of time if there were any changes. Since the structures we build are relatively small and "simple" I figured that maybe a program to design in 3D would work better for us and save time in the long run.

If you can look at getting the Building Design Suite Premium, then you would have AutoCAD, AutoCAD Arch and Revit. As well as AutoCAD MEP, Showcase and 3D Max Design. Yeah it's over $7K with subscription but you get a lot of software for that price. Gonna try to upgrade to it this year as our Revit Architecture Suite was canceled.

If you can look at getting the Building Design Suite Premium, then you would have AutoCAD, AutoCAD Arch and Revit. As well as AutoCAD MEP, Showcase and 3D Max Design. Yeah it's over $7K with subscription but you get a lot of software for that price. Gonna try to upgrade to it this year as our Revit Architecture Suite was canceled.

They should've upgraded you to BDSPRM for free (plus $250/yr/seat subscription) ... at least that's what they did for our AutoCAD Revit MEP Suites.

Building Design Suite Premium does give you a lot for the money, though!