Installing Ubuntu and Hyper-V virtual machine on my Windows 8 machine

Currahee

On my old laptop I ran Linux Ubuntu on it and really like it. So I thought I would install it on my Win8 machine. But, I didnt want to go the dual boot route . So I installed the Hyper-V. It is a more powerful Virtual Box in which Microsoft inbedded in their Windows 8 OS. You have to get into the settings and install it. This was their replacement for the virtual XP, in which you could only run XP and its programs. But now with Hyper-V you can install any OS you want and turn it on with a click of a mouse button.

I have not installed my Ubuntu yet, I have an old copy and I want to see if they're any new releases out.

Anyone using Hyper-V or Linux?

I've messed with several but since AutoCAD and SketchUp don't run on them it is only a passing fancy.

I wonder if you can install OSX in Hyper-V :twisted:

you should be very careful dual-booting a windows 8 machine. i think ubuntu can now work with the secure boot (UEFI) thing, but the leading computer magazine here in Germany reports of Samsung laptops being ruined after booting linux from a USB drive. most linux distributions at this time do not work together with secure boot.

you should be very careful dual-booting a windows 8 machine. i think ubuntu can now work with the secure boot (UEFI) thing, but the leading computer magazine here in Germany reports of Samsung laptops being ruined after booting linux from a USB drive. most linux distributions at this time do not work together with secure boot.

Like I said, "I am not going to go the dual boot route":beer: With Hyper-V it is not dual boot; its like having a server with-in a server...something like that:unsure: